Deadline: January 9, 2017
Mural Arts Philadelphia is the nation’s largest public art program, dedicated to the belief that art ignites change. For over 30 years, Mural Arts has united artists and communities through a collaborative and equitable process, creating nearly 4,000 artworks that have transformed public spaces and individual lives. Mural Arts aims to empower people, stimulate dialogue, and build bridges to understanding with projects that attract artists from Philadelphia and around the world, and programs that focus on youth education, restorative justice, mental health and wellness, and public art and its preservation. Popular mural tours offer a firsthand glimpse into the inspiring stories behind Mural Arts’ iconic and unparalleled collection, which has earned Philadelphia worldwide recognition as the “City of Murals.”
Mural Arts is seeking a Communications Manager to be part of its Communications and Brand Marketing team. The Communications Manager serves as the narrative brain of Mural Arts Philadelphia’s Communications team and works directly with the Director of Communications on messaging and strategy. This position is responsible for conceiving and writing communications that tell Mural Arts’ story, both across the organization and in regard to individual projects. The ideal candidate is a highly inquisitive learner with advanced communication skills, who is also proficient at problem solving and collaboration. The candidate should also have a strong interest in the issues and fields Mural Arts covers in its ongoing portfolio of projects and programs.
The Communications Manager must understand how to write copy for a variety of platforms and for various audiences groups, from local community stakeholders to Mural Arts’ expanding worldwide following. The Communications Manager is also responsible for crafting presentations for senior staff members, event speeches and talking points, and other items that directly convey Mural Arts’ core mission and values, and will make regular use of tools such as Campaign Monitor, PowerPoint, WordPress, InDesign, and Photoshop. Other daily duties include copy editing, copy writing, proofreading collateral for proper branding and house style, and ensuring quality and consistency across all communications.
· Writing and editing copy for website, e-blasts, print collateral (postcards, one-pagers, flyers), and other marketing materials, such as press releases or advertisements
· Proofreading all communications and marketing materials to maintain consistent branding and house style across all platforms
· Creating editorial narratives for larger communications projects, in partnership with the Director of Communications and other key staff, including the Mural Arts blog, seasonal catalogs, brochures, and annual reports
· Working with branded templates and often with outside designers to create and update communications and marketing collateral
· Developing presentations and event talking points for the Executive Director and other senior staff members
· Brainstorming and implementing creative and dynamic means of storytelling, and researching best practices and emerging tactics
· Managing general communications interns and any external writers or editors engaged in larger projects
· A BA or BS in related field, or equivalent experience and knowledge
· Minimum of four years of experience in the editorial, journalism, and/or communications fields, ideally with a focus in arts and culture
· Extensive copy writing and editing experience is preferred
· Experience with email marketing platforms, CMS platforms, and Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign and Photoshop, is preferred
· Proficiency with MS Office is required
· Good project management and time management skills are required
· Must be able to attend some evening and weekend events when required
Mural Arts is pleased to offer a competitive and comprehensive health and dental benefits package.
Please provide cover letter with resume and references by Monday, January 9th at 5 p.m. to email@example.com, and include your minimum salary requirement.
For further information on Mural Arts Philadelphia, please visit www.muralarts.org.