Deadline April 22: The Delaware Art Museum is conducting a comprehensive inventory and reorganization of 1,150 framed works in the Museum’s collection. We are seeking two (2) Collection Technicians who will work collaboratively with the Project Manager, Registrars, and Curators and other Collection Technician. The technicians will work in the Museum’s painting storage collections storage area or in the galleries on the days the Museum is closed to the public.
This is a 13-week grant funded position starting June 6, 2016.
The Collection Technician will be responsible for the sequential inventory, creating and/or maintaining accurate electronic inventory records in museum’s collection management database, recording summary condition reporting, and confirming that works of art are cared for and housed according to museum best practices. Additionally the Collection Technicians in concert with the Project Manager and Registrar will un-frame sensitive and fragile works on paper and relocate the works to new storage location(s).
• B.A. or a B.S. degree in Art, Art History, Conservation, or Museum Studies
• Strong object handling skills, including one to three years’ experience in safe recording of physical specifications and condition reporting.
• Demonstrated knowledge of painting mediums and related condition concerns
• Proficient knowledge of computer programs, museum related databases (i.e. TMS)
• Accuracy and discretion
• Ability to set and meet deadlines
• Superior written and interpersonal communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills; team-oriented
• Attention to detail critical.
Must be able to:
• Stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for 7 hours per day
• sit for less than 2 hours at one time
• lift or carry up to 75 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday)
• lift up to 75 pounds to waist height and up to 30 pounds in a range of motion from floor to overhead
• frequently use hands for simple grasping or pushing or pulling (34-66% of the workday)
• occasionally squat, kneel, climb, reach overhead, lift overhead, kneel stand, push or pull forces up to 75 pounds (less than 33% of the work day)
• frequently bend (34-66% of the work day)
• possess ability to work at heights, full range of body motions and physical agility, and ability to maintain balance.
The hourly rate is $14. Deadline for applications is April 22, 2016. Candidates should submit a letter of interest with resume to HR@delart.org.
A unique regional art museum, the Delaware Art Museum is located on an 11-acre site in the Brandywine Valley within easy driving distance of Philadelphia. It features an internationally renowned collection of British Pre-Raphaelite art, spectacular holdings of American painting, sculpture, and work on paper, with particular strengths in the art of John Sloan, the Ashcan School, Howard Pyle and American Illustration art. It includes site-specific installations by Dale Chihuly and James Turrell. With enhanced education programs and services such as a unique research library, an interactive gallery for young children, a café and an expanded store, the Museum serves a broad, diverse and growing community.