Deadline March 11: The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program is a public private partnership dedicated to the belief that art ignites change. We create art with others to transform places, individuals, communities and institutions. Through this work, we establish new standards of excellence in the practice of public and contemporary art. Our process empowers artists to be change agents, stimulates dialogue about critical issues, and builds bridges of connection and understanding. Our work is created in service of a larger movement that values equity, fairness and progress across all of society. We listen with empathetic ears to understand the aspirations of our partners and participants. And through beautiful collaborative art, we provide people with the inspiration and tools to seize their own future.
Annually, Mural Arts engages more than 25,000 people. This includes more than 2,000 who enroll in ongoing art and muralism workshops offered through our Art Education, Restorative Justice, and Porch Light programs; more than 8,000 who co-create our stunning works of public art; and more than 15,000 who tour our multi-neighborhood collection. Annually, we produce between 80 and 100 temporary and permanent pieces, which together tell an incredible story of Philadelphia’s beauty and resilience.
Mural Arts is seeking a Crew Member to provide on-site support including erecting and dismantling scaffolding, wall preparation, lot maintenance and graffiti removal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Erect and dismantle scaffolding according to policy and OSHA regulations.
• Assist with mural wall preparation, such as grid lines, priming, grinding, sealing, etc.
• Remove graffiti from murals and re-paint defaced areas.
• Maintain the appearance of mural lots by removing refuse, mowing, weed-whacking and making minor repairs, etc.
• Driving to and from work sites, carrying crew members, materials, deliveries, etc. as needed.
• Minor construction/carpentry as it relates to wall preparation or other Mural Arts projects and interior/exterior surface painting.
• Relocate equipment and supplies as needed.
• Perform minor maintenance in and around main office and other office spaces.
• Assist mural artists with general tasks as needed.
• High School or equivalent. Previous related experience preferred.
• Good communication skills (oral and listening) and collaboration/team skills
• Ability to work in fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
• Must be a Philadelphia resident or be able to establish bona fide residence in the City within six months of appointment
• Competitive compensation and excellent benefits package, including health and dental benefits.
Please provide resume and references by Friday, March 11th to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Crew Member” in your subject line.
For further information on the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program, please visit www.muralarts.org.