The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program is a public private partnership dedicated to the belief that art ignites change. We create art with others to transform places, individuals, communities and institutions. Through this work, we establish new standards of excellence in the practice of public and contemporary art. Our process empowers artists to be change agents, stimulates dialogue about critical issues, and builds bridges of connection and understanding. Our work is created in service of a larger movement that values equity, fairness and progress across all of society. We listen with empathetic ears to understand the aspirations of our partners and participants. And through beautiful collaborative art, we provide people with the inspiration and tools to seize their own future.
Annually, Mural Arts engages more than 25,000 people. This includes more than 2,000 who enroll in ongoing art and muralism workshops offered by our Art Education, Restorative Justice, and Porch Light programs; more than 8,000 who co-create our stunning works of public art; and more than 15,000 who tour our multi-neighborhood collection. Annually, we produce between 80 and 100 temporary and permanent pieces, which together tell an incredible story of Philadelphia’s beauty and resilience.
Description: The Mural Arts Program is seeking one part time bilingual (Spanish/English) Project Coordinator to work on an upcoming participatory public art project with the artist, Jon Rubin and curator/project manager, Theresa Rose. The project, entitled, 9th Street Stock Exchange, is quite literally a stock exchange. Ten businesses along the historic South 9th Street Market Curb Market, also known as the Italian Market, will sell each other’s goods for one week at a time, rotating items over the course of nine weeks. Each store will have the opportunity to display and sell items from each of the participating businesses. The 9th Street Stock Exchange creates a small alternative economic and social eco-system that loosens the singular identity of the individual markets and produces new and unexpected relationships between cultures and goods. The 9th Street Stock Exchange will run from October 5th through December 14th, 2016.
● Report directly to the project Curator/Manager and Artist
● Communicate project information and details with Spanish-speaking business owners
● Develop connections with Spanish-speaking business owners/ storekeepers to ensure participation and manage expectations
● From October through December- each Wednesday of the week, collect and reimburse sale income
● Each Wednesday, assist with the de-installation and re-installation of the items for sale
● Be available for communication and translation on an ongoing basis
● Provide written communication for the project as needed
● Assist with public programming correspondence with each event
● Must speak and write proficiently in both English and Spanish.
● Be flexible with the specific hours and needs of the project including weekends
● Must be out-going and able to effectively interact with people of all dispositions in a pleasant, confident manner
● Self-motivated, organized and able to communicate information in a simple, easy-to understand fashion
● Highly organized and able to handle multiple tasks with ease and be a team player
● Significant walking and standing required
● Knowledge of socially engaged art
● Experience in a sales environment
● Carpentry, building, or installing skills
● Live near the 9th Street Market
Schedule: Qualified candidate will begin immediately with about 15 hours a month from June- September. Schedule will increase to around 24 hours a week from October- December 2016.
● Begin immediately with translation and general correspondence for the project
● Full day on Wednesdays from October through December, 8 hour days
● An additional 2 hour/ day T, TH, F, S, from Oct 5- Dec 13
● Be flexible with the hours needed and scheduling of the project
● June through September= 60 hours
● October through December= 120 hours
● Public Programs additional= 20 hours
● Total hours= 200