Deadline January 16: The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program is a public private partnership dedicated to the belief that art ignites change. We create art with others to transform places, individuals, communities and institutions. Through this work, we establish new standards of excellence in the practice of public and contemporary art. Our process empowers artists to be change agents, stimulates dialogue about critical issues, and builds bridges of connection and understanding. Our work is created in service of a larger movement that values equity, fairness and progress across all of society. We listen with empathetic ears to understand the aspirations of our partners and participants. And through beautiful collaborative art, we provide people with the inspiration and tools to seize their own future.
Annually, Mural Arts engages more than 25,000 people. This includes more than 2,000 who enroll in ongoing art and muralism workshops offered by our Art Education, Restorative Justice, and Porch Light programs; more than 8,000 who co-create our stunning works of public art; and more than 15,000 who tour our multi-neighborhood collection. Annually, we produce between 50 and 100 temporary and permanent pieces which together tell an incredible story of Philadelphia’s beauty and resilience.
Mural Arts is seeking a Special Events and Marketing Manager to be part of its Communications and Brand Marketing team. This team implements the communications strategy designed to engage the public and propel our organization’s mission, and is responsible for promoting and communicating the impact of each facet of the organization within the parameters and discipline of the organization’s brand guidelines. Through excellent support for program and fundraising divisions, the Communications and Brand Marketing department maximizes messaging clarity and impact, always positioning Mural Arts as a world leader in public art and civic engagement and social transformation.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Plan and implement special events, either related to Mural Arts projects or in conjunction with other departments (e.g. Tours, Development, etc.)
• Manage relationships with outside vendors and partners involved in events
• Determine event logistics and build comprehensive programming that reflects Mural Arts brand
• Interact with Mural Arts audiences in a multitude of neighborhoods around Philadelphia
• Maintain event calendar on website
• Pitch event-related stories and submit event information to media outlets, partner organizations, and other relevant listings
• Research and pursue opportunities to advertise Mural Arts events and programs in print, radio, and web formats
• Write blog and newsletter articles related to events
• Assess ways to publicly enhance and build upon organizational brand
• Creative problem-solver and results-oriented strategic thinker
• Ability to work in fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks
• Excellent communication skills: oral, written, and listening
• Ability to engage with a broad range of audiences and communities
• Prior experience with managing budgets
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, constituents, and external partners
• Knowledge of new and emerging media
• Must be able to attend evening and weekend events when required
• A BA or BS in related field, or equivalent experience and knowledge
• Minimum of four years of experience in marketing field, ideally in arts and culture
• Extensive event-planning experience is preferred
• Prior media and/or advertising contacts ideal
• Driver’s license and access to a vehicle, since local travel is required
• Proficiency with MS Office is required. Experience using Adobe Design Suite and email marketing software a plus
Salary: Competitive compensation in the low- to mid-40s, depending on experience, plus comprehensive health and dental benefits.
For further information on the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program, please visit www.muralarts.org.
Please provide cover letter with resume and references by Friday, January 16 to firstname.lastname@example.org.