Deadline January 9: The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program is seeking a part time urban sociologist with experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative research, data analysis, graphic documentation preparation, and report writing. The part time researcher will support an urban investigation project coordinated by Cohabitation Strategies for The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program’s Restore Spaces Initiative. The research will take place in Philadelphia, PA. The position is for four months, from February to May 2015.
• Conduct quantitative research; survey design and analysis, statistical analysis, etc.
• Conduct qualitative and ethnographic research; develop precise methodologies for conducting key informant interviews, community sessions and structured/guided consultations with diverse actors and project stakeholders.
• Conduct qualitative research in order to map all the individuals, organizations, institutions and initiatives with a public role in specific urban areas of Philadelphia defined by Cohabitations Strategies.
• Create relational maps and diagrams of all the identified individuals, organizations, institutions and initiatives.
• Analyze all the collected information and write creative reports accessible for different audiences.
• Work cooperatively with team members to ensure quality, timeliness, and accuracy of research products.
• Degree in sociology, anthropology, social work or related fields.
• Proficiency in and demonstrated knowledge in ethnographic research.
• Experience with alternative research methodologies and approaches such as participatory action research (PAR), pedagogies of the oppressed and Brechtian practices is desired.
• Demonstrated strong quantitative analysis or advanced statistical analysis skills.
• Experience with one of the following: SPSS, SAS, R, MPlus.
• Cartographic knowledge
• Spanish or other languages
• Excellent writing, oral communication and analytical skills.
• Fluent in spoken English and Spanish.
• Flexible hours, including willingness to work evening and some weekends.
• Ability to plan, organize and schedule work assignments with limited supervision.
• Knowledge of Philadelphia issues and of other languages (than English and Spanish) is desirable.
Compensation: $20.00 per hour for approximately 20 per week.
For further information on the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program, please visit www.muralarts.org
Please provide cover letter with salary requirements, resume and references by January 9th to firstname.lastname@example.org.