Deadline March 11: The Gray Gallery, located at 222 West Harvey Street in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, seeks artists to participate in, Immersed. This juried exhibition will celebrate the often overlooked and undervalued work of women who attempt to balance the responsibilities of being both an artist and a mother. The content, subject, materials, technique and process of the work submitted can deal directly or indirectly with what it means to be a mother. The goal of this exhibition is to identify and gather a community of working artists who are also mothers.
The juror, Jill Pederson, is an Assistant Professor of Art History at Arcadia University (and fellow mother). Dr. Pederson received her Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University in 2008; she focuses on European art with an emphasis on Italian painting, sculpture, and graphic work from the fourteenth through seventeenth centuries. She has received many accolades including: the Renaissance Society of America Research Grant, a Franklin Research Grant from the American Philosophical Society, a Fulbright Fellowship, Ahmanson Research Fellowship at the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies (UCLA) and a Kress Foundation Fellowship. In addition, Dr. Pederson is presently completing a book manuscript on Leonardo da Vinci and his involvement in the Academia Leonardi Vinci.
• Artists must live within a 100-mile radius of Philadelphia.
• All entries will be considered but must be original to the artist.
• All artwork must be ready to hang (installation and works on pedestals can be negotiated with the gallery).
• Work must not exceed 24” in any direction.
• All accepted pieces must be hand delivered to the Gray Gallery, located at 222 West Harvey Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19144 during the week of April 18, 2016.
• Any work that is accepted will remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibition and must be picked up May 20, 2016.
The Gray Gallery is happy to facilitate the sale of works, but takes no commission.
Fees: There is no entry fee for this exhibition.
• Both emerging and established artists are welcome to apply with works in any medium.
• We are asking that artists limit submissions to three entries per applicant.
• Each JPEG should be at least 1,000 pixels on one side.
• Provide an image list that includes title, date, dimensions and materials.
• Include a current resume.
• Deadline for submission is midnight March 11, 2016..
• Artist statement and/or Biography.
To be considered, please email 3 JPEGS, image list, resume and optional information with the subject, Immersed, to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight March 11, 2016.
Please include contact information in the body of the email:
Name, phone, preferred email address
Important Dates to Remember:
· Deadline to submit: midnight, Friday, March 11, 2016
· Notification of acceptance: week of March 21, 2016
· Drop off accepted pieces: week of April 18, 2016
· Reception: Friday, May 6, 2016 time TBD
· Exhibition closing and pick up of work: begins May 20, 2016
We encourage the artists to bring both friends and family to the opening reception to celebrate and join in an informal discussion on what it means to be a mother and artist today.