2022 Fellowship for Black Artists
This Deadline Expired: Monday, March 14, 2022
The Philadelphia Fellowship for Black Artists was designed by Mural Arts in 2020 to fund, foster, and elevate the important work of emerging Black artists residing within the City of Philadelphia. 2022 fellows will have access to a robust public art curriculum including workshops on project planning, community engagement, mural design, and artist talks. Fellows will also have a unique opportunity to collaborate with community members and other fellows to create new work in public spaces.
This year, the Fellowship will support 15 artists of any medium with $2,000 in unrestricted funding. Selected applicants will show an interest in socially engaged art and working collaboratively. After completing curricular work, interested fellows will work in teams of three to respond to community-submitted public art requests. Fellows will receive an additional project-specific stipend for this work, and have project management support from Mural Arts staff. Mural Arts will highlight fellows across its social media channels, and connect them to a wide network of local and international artists. Fellows will also receive 1:1 portfolio consulting sessions by local curators, create proposals for public art projects, and learn about MAP’s community engaged art process from ideation to installation.
- Application Opening: Monday, February 7th, 2022 at 9:00am.
- Application deadline: Monday, March 14th, 2022 at 9:00am.
- Awardees will be contacted by Friday, March 25th, 2022.
- Orientation Dates: April 18, 2022 to Friday, May 13th — specific dates, times and locations TBD.
- Group Project Installation is tentatively scheduled for July-August 2022.
- Culmination event and tour to be held in October 2022 (Mural Arts Month)
Eligibility The Fellowship is open to African-American or Black artists residing in Philadelphia. Please send any questions to: FBA3@muralarts.org The Philadelphia Fellowship for Black Artists is presented by TD Bank.
Learn more here and apply here.