Art Futures Artist-in-Residence at the Philadelphia Museum of Art
This Deadline Expired: Wednesday, October 17, 2018
How You Will Contribute
For the Art Futures Program, the division of Education at the Philadelphia Museum of Art pairs ten local artists with art teachers in five public and five Catholic high schools in the Philadelphia region. Working together, each artist/teacher pairing will design a unique studio experience for their students. Duration of in-classroom collaboration between artists and art teachers will be 30 hours total, January-April 2019. Artists will receive a $2000 honorarium for their participation, as well as free admission to the Museum for one year.
Notification will be sent to the ten selected artists by Friday October 26. Selected artists must present their artwork to school art teachers at the PMA on Wednesday November 14 at 4:30 p.m. Selected artists must also attend a planning meeting with collaborating art teachers on Wednesday December 5 at 4:30 p.m. and a wrap-up meeting on Wednesday May 1 at 4:30 p.m.
The Art Futures Program requires artists to travel approximately 15-20 times to and from a school for their residency. Though most Philadelphia schools are accessible via public transportation, some are located up to 18 miles from the center city. *A travel stipend is available to off-set the cost of the commute.
Your diverse background includes…
- Experience working with high school students, preferably in a classroom setting, using a variety of artistic mediums
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with other artists and teachers to design a cohesive curriculum
- Availability to attend mandatory meetings
- Knowledge of the museum’s collections
- Desire to work with aspiring art students in the city of Philadelphia
Required application materials*:
- Cover Letter and resume
- Artist Statement that includes a brief description of your work and your teaching goals (one paragraph)
- 3 references who can attest to your teaching style and ability to collaborate
- 5 images of your own work showing proficiency using diverse materials; and 5 additional images of student artwork using one of the following file formats: .doc, .PDF, or .JPEG
- Numbered image list, including artist name (student names not required, please list age or grade level), title, date, media, and dimensions (H x W x D)
*Please name all files using the following format: last name, first name, and cover letter/resume/artist statement (ie. smith_bill_coverletter) and all images with: last name, first name, artist/student work, and image number (i.e. smith_bill_artist01 or smith_bill_student02)