Call for Artists: Lather, Rinse, Repeat
deadline: Saturday, August 12, 2017
September 16th to November 2nd., 2017
Opening Reception Saturday,September 16th, 2 to 5 pm
For this juried exhibition, Hamilton Street Gallery is asking artists to submit work that focuses on our crowning glory, better known as hair. Be it curly, flat, thick, thinning, frizzy, fly-away, or pin straight, hair leaves a lasting impression. It is definitive to one’s character, as well as their face. Artists are encouraged to be adventurous in selecting any aspect relating to hair. Some of these may include grooming tools, and styling products like curling irons and shampoos, or customs and rituals such as powdered wigs, pompadours, and braided mourning jewelry. As always, all media is accepted.
1. Exhibition is open to residents 18 years or older, living in NY, NJ and PA.
2. All media will be considered and must be original and by the artist.
3. We prefer that work be hand delivered to the gallery, but will accept pre-paid shipment of work preferably through the Post Office with return packaging to and from the gallery.
4. Artwork must be ready for hanging and/or installation and must not exceed 60” in any direction.
Please, no saw tooth hangers. Size limitations for sculptural and video pieces will be considered individually.
5. Two-dimensional works on paper and other fragile surfaces must be framed with glass or Plexiglas.
6. All accepted artwork must remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibit. *Upon delivery of work, the gallery has the right to reject work that is not consistent with submitted digital images.
Fees There is no entry fee to enter the exhibit. Accepted artists pay a nominal fee of $25, by cash, check or money order payable to Hamilton Street Gallery to cover costs for promotional mailing, hanging, lighting, and installation.
Hamilton Street Gallery charges 25% commission on artwork sold. Sales will be finalized at the end of each exhibition.
Insurance Hamilton Street Gallery will provide insurance for work upon receiving art, during the exhibition and up until work is picked up. We are not responsible for artwork while in transit to and from the gallery.
There are two ways to submit work:
A. Up to 5 digital file submissions will be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
B. Up to 5 images on a CD rom can be mailed through the Post Office
1. All submissions must be in JPEG format in the order you would like them viewed with artist name and title of work. Images cannot be larger than 800 x 800 pixels at 72 DPI.
2. An image list on paper, numbered in the order in which they appear on the CD, including title of work, media, dimensions, date, and price.
3. One page resume (please include phone number and email address)
4. An artist statement (optional but encouraged)
5. An SASE for return of materials is requested
6. Video and performance artists should submit DVDs labeled with name, title, date and price
*(All submissions should be received, not post marked, by the deadline date.)
Please mail completed submission package in an envelope no larger than 9” x 12” to: Hamilton Street Gallery, P.O. Box
710, Bound Brook, New Jersey 08805. or email submissions to email@example.com
Gallery Hours: Thursday 12 to 5 pm, Fridays 5:30 to 8 pm, Saturdays 1 to 5 pm and by appointment.
Important dates to remember:
Submission Deadline – Saturday, August 12th, 2017
Notification of acceptance by email – Saturday, August 19th, 2017.
Delivery Dates – Thursday September 7th., 12 to 5 pm. Friday September 8th, 5 to 8 pm and Saturday September 9th 12 to 5 pm
Opening Reception – Saturday September 16th, 2017 2 to 5 pm.
Pick up dates – Thursday November 2nd 12 to 5 pm,
Friday November 3rd, 5 to 8 pm and Saturday November 4th 12 to 5 pm.