Clay Studio Gallery and Retail Assistant
The Gallery and Retail Assistant serves as a public face for The Clay Studio, greeting and serving customers as they enter our retail shop and gallery, and through phone and email communications. This position works independently and cooperatively with all Clay Studio Staff.
The Gallery and Retail Assistant has complete knowledge of the current inventory and the artists represented in the Shop and Gallery. Gaining the trust of artists and clients through honest, timely and professional communications is a high priority.
The Gallery and Retail Assistant contributes to the implementation of the exhibition and retail schedule assisting with all artist correspondence, sales, inventory control, visual display and merchandising, exhibition installation, packing and shipping, and administrative responsibilities.
- Self-motivation and dedication to excellence
- Ability to collaborate effectively and work independently
- A high level of attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with variety of people
- Strong computer competency
- Ability to handle art carefully
- Position requires ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Basic understanding of clay techniques and materials
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide exceptional customer service both in person and by phone
- Assist with installation of exhibitions and shop areas
- Communicate professionally and in a timely manner with artists and clients
- Prepare artworks for domestic and international shipping after training period
- Entering data and maintaining accurate inventory records in our database
- Keep shop and gallery clean and well organized in accordance with set standards
- Collect visitor data for relevant reporting (including daily attendance log)
- Train and direct Work Exchange Interns and Volunteers
- Communicate artist bio and conceptual content to a wide variety of visitors
- At the discretion of the Curator, may assist with or collaborate on research, coordination, and exhibition design
- Experience in retail, gallery, or arts organization.
- Knowledge of clay techniques and materials.
The Gallery & Retail Assistant reports to the Retail Manager & Gallery Coordinator, under the supervision of the Curator of Artistic Programs & Chief Operating Officer
The Gallery and Retail Assistant works a set hourly schedule:
3 days a week, 10-6, Sunday – Tuesday, with occasional flex time requested for special events.
$12-$15/hour depending on experience
The position does not include health benefits, but does come with a free class or studio space in our group studio.
The Clay Studio is an equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, political affiliation or belief.
About The Clay Studio:
The Clay Studio is Philadelphia’s only nonprofit solely dedicated to the education and promotion of the ceramic arts, and is one of the world’s leading institutions in the field. Founded in 1974, The Clay Studio supports the ceramic arts through its artist residencies, gallery, studio space, and school, educational & outreach programs. The programs of the Clay Studio reflect the dual character of the organization: as a community centered institution involved with the life of the city and region, and as a national and international focal point for ceramic arts. The Clay Studio believes in promoting broad access to the ceramic arts, therefore programs are geared to all levels of interest and proficiency.
In order to be considered, please submit the following information via email:
- Cover letter outlining qualifications and salary expectations
- Professional resume
- Three relevant references
Submit to email@example.com with the subject line “Gallery and Retail Assistant”. No phone calls please.