Coordinator- Mural Arts Institute
This Deadline Expired: Friday, March 11, 2022
Launched in 2017, Mural Arts Philadelphia’s new program, the Mural Arts Institute (MAI), is dedicated to advancing research on and development of socially-engaged public art practices. Their work is in service to a larger movement that values equity, fairness and progress across all of society. MAI brings the Mural Arts model to other change-oriented cities and leaders across the globe to help build their capacity and sustain community-driven public art projects and programs. They work with artists, activists, planners, organizations, cultural institutions, municipal governments and more with the goal of igniting change through equitable and accessible practices, and serve as a connector and convener through multi-city capacity building initiatives, symposia and more.
Mural Arts Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), immigrants, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. They are looking for candidates based in the Philadelphia, PA region.
The MAI Coordinator reports to the MAI Director in overall organization and streamlining of activities but serves the full MAI team, supporting both MAI staff, collaborators, and partners with administrative duties as needed. This includes but is not limited to:
– Maintaining highly organized and accurate administrative tools, folders, files, work plans, and master schedule
– Documenting meetings with clear notes and summaries as needed, providing reminders for next steps
– Writing letters, emails, following up with certain contacts and seeking information as requested
– Serving as point of contact for collaborators, clients, or partners as needed
– Providing technical support for virtual gatherings and meetings as needed
– Collaborating or leading in creation of certain documents, info packets, itineraries, and presentations
– Fielding and coordinating requests, logging contact data, and tracking relationships
– Updating or editing tools, documents, and contracts from templates
– Provide tech, registration, coordination and general assistance for events and artist trainings
– Sharing, collecting, and processing evaluations e.g. post public events or programs
– Coordinating teams of staff and contractors in scheduling meetings and reminders
– Reserving spaces, travel, lodging, and meals, and finalizing itineraries and info packets
– Processing invoices, contracts, and tracking certain expenses
The key responsibilities of this role require a high attention to detail, organizational acumen, and timeliness. Building meaningful and lasting relationships with the MAI team, MAP staff and prospective and current clients is also important for sustained coordination. The MAI Coordinator is an important member of MAI’s team, working with many of the full Mural Arts staff on organizational-wide activities as well.
The ideal candidate is a strong independent worker and will have at least two years of experience in similar work. Candidates must have strong administrative and writing skills and be able to juggle many tasks with grace, accurately prioritizing and maintaining focus in a very fast-paced environment. Skilled at learning new technological tools, experience using these tools will be key: Microsoft Office (spreadsheets, documents, and presentations), Zoom, Google Suite, project management software such as or similar to Smartsheet, and Adobe Acrobat (for pdf), with Photoshop, Canva, or other image editing program a plus. A background in cultural work or other creative processes is important and knowledge of socially engaged art, arts education, and/or public art is a plus.
Mural Arts seeks candidates who value and demonstrate the following core competencies: committed problem solving, deep thinking & fearless creation, inquisitive learning, thoughtful communication, mindful collaboration, personal accountability, and a commitment to actively prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
This is a grant-funded position that works 32 hours per week. This position is funded through June 2023. Mural Arts is pleased to offer a competitive and comprehensive health and dental benefits package. The annual salary for this position is $32,000.00 per year. Pending future grant opportunities, there is the possibility that this position is extended beyond the date above.
Please provide cover letter, resume, references, and acknowledgement of the salary offered, in one pdf document, to email@example.com by Friday, March 11, 5 p.m. Applications will be reviewed, and interviews conducted on a rolling basis. Please include “MAI Coordinator Position” in the subject line. No telephone calls please.