Drawing From Life
This Deadline Expired: Wednesday, January 13, 2021
Hamilton Street Gallery CALL FOR ARTISTS
DEADLINE: Wed. Jan. 13th 2021
Drawing From Life
February 20th, to April 1st., 2021
For nearly a year now, the Covid-19 virus has invaded our lives in devastating ways that we could have never before imagined. Every aspect of our existence has changed. Destitution, including hunger, unemployment and homelessness has shattered the future for many, and our perspective of life and death has forever been altered.
For this juried exhibition Hamilton Gallery asks artists to look upon this period of time and create reflective imagery through the process of hand drawing an image onto a chosen surface. The surface can be paper, but may also include any other surface that works. Drawing implements can range from pencils, pens, and charcoal to brushes, crayons and markers to 3 dimensional materials such as string, as well as a stylus or touch screen and any other tool that can translate the drawing successfully onto the chosen surface.
Eligibility 1. Exhibition is open to residents 18 years or older, living in NY, NJ and PA.
2. All media must be original and by the artist.
3. They prefer that work be hand delivered to the gallery, but will accept pre-paid shipment of work preferably through the Post Office with return packaging to and from the gallery
4 Art work must be wired and ready for hanging and/or installation and must not exceed 60” in any direction.
Please no saw tooth hangers. Size limitations for sculptural and video pieces will be considered individually.
5. 2 dimensional works on paper and other fragile surfaces must be framed with glass or Plexiglas, except with special permission
6. All accepted art work must remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibit. Upon delivery of work, the gallery has the right to reject work that is not consistent with submitted digital images.
Fees: There is no entry fee to enter the exhibit. Accepted artists pay upon delivery, a nominal fee of $25, by cash, check or money order payable to Hamilton Street Gallery to cover costs for promotional mailing, hanging, lighting and installation. Hamilton Street Gallery charges 25% commission on work sold. Sales will be finalized at the end of exhibition.
Insurance Hamilton Street Gallery will provide insurance for work upon receiving art, during exhibition, and until work is picked up. Artwork is not insured while in transit to and from the gallery.
Submission Guidelines There are two ways to submit work:
A. Up to 5 digital file submissions will be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
B. Up to 5 images on a CD rom can be mailed through the Post Office
1. All submissions must be in JPEG format in the order you would like them viewed with artist name and title of work. Images cannot be larger than 800 x 800 pixels at 72 DPI.
2. An image list on paper, numbered in the order in which they appear on the CD, including title of work, media, dimensions, date, and price.
3. One page resume (please include phone number and email address)
4. An artist statement (optional but encouraged)
5. An SASE for return of materials is requested
6. Video and performance artists should submit DVDs labeled with name, title, date and price
(All submissions should be received, not post marked, by the deadline date.)
Please mail completed submission package in an envelope no larger than 9” x 12”
Important dates to remember:
Submission Deadline – Wednesday, January 13th., 2021
Notification of acceptance by email – Wednesday, January 20th., 2021.
Delivery Dates – Thursday, February 4th., 12 to 5 pm.
Friday, February 5th., 5 to 8 pm and Saturday, February 6th 12 to 5 pm
Pick up dates – Thursday, April 1st., 2021 12 to 5 pm,
Friday, April 2nd., 5 to 8 pm and Saturday, April 3rd. 12 to 5 pm.
Learn more here
*Due to the on going reoccurrence of Covid 19, Hamilton Street Gallery will not be having an opening reception for Drawing From Life.
The gallery will be open during regular hours, listed below and by appointment throughout the course of the exhibit. A limited number of people (no more than 5) should occupy the gallery at one time and in accordance to CDC guidelines, should wear masks and stand 6ft. apart from each other. The gallery asks that you call the gallery or email email@example.com before visiting so they can schedule you in.
(If the situation in regard to the virus changes for the better, they will announce a new strategy for an opening reception.)
Gallery Hours: Thursday 12 to 5 pm, Fridays 5:30 to 8 pm, Saturdays 1 to 5 pm and by appointment. 732-748-2092