Employment Opportunity at Mural Arts! – Assistant Teaching Artist
This Deadline Expired: Sunday, February 7, 2021
The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program unites artists and communities through a collaborative process, rooted in the traditions of mural-making, to create art that transforms public spaces and individual lives. Since its inception in 1984, Mural Arts has created more than 3,000 community driven murals and provided thousands of under-served youth and adults with award-winning arts education programming.
The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program’s Art Education Department serves over 2400 youth annually through free out-of-school time art education programs in neighborhoods throughout Philadelphia. Our programs provide a creative outlet for some of the city’s most vulnerable youth.
Mural Arts seeks to build safe spaces with and for the youth we serve, and our students’ work demonstrates their capacity for thinking deeply and creating fearlessly. Our programs provide young people between the ages of 10 and 22 a year-long course of study in the visual arts. Our curriculum offers students the technical and creative foundation necessary to imagine, design, and create a wide range of individual and public works of art. Whether creating a mural or honing foundational art skills, lessons are designed with both short and long-term goals in mind, incorporating artistic and social history in addition to traditional and emerging art processes. At every turn we encourage our students to reflect on themselves and make a positive difference in the communities in which they work and play.
In order to best serve the varied needs of our students, the Mural Arts Program’s Art Education Department seeks passionate and creative art educators who are committed to working in partnership with young people. We seek individuals who are excited about mentoring youth, eager to collaborate with fellow artists, and able to work in an energetic environment that demands flexibility, dedication, innovation, and enthusiasm.
Assistant Teaching Artist Position
This position provides assistance to the Lead Teaching Artist in our Artrepreneurs high school classroom. In conjunction with the Teaching Artist the Assistant Teaching Artist is responsible for facilitating a safe and creative classroom environment in partnership with participating students and the site personnel.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provides instructional support to Lead Teaching Artist
- Assist with the set-up and outreach for our virtual classes
- Assist in preparing and delivering classroom instruction and occasionally leads classroom activities, develops lesson plans and manages classroom under the guidance of the Lead Teaching Artist
- Act as mentor and role model for participating students
- Track classroom attendance weekly, using the Apricot database
- Support timely collection of completed student applications
- Attend mandatory bi-weekly professional development meetings on Thursdays
- Assist in chaperoning field trips
- Helps maintain site partner relationships
- Preferably 1-2 years of experience teaching art to youth in middle and/or high school
- Ability to work in multiple settings with respect and humility, ie: Non-English dominant spaces, LGBTQ spaces, cultural and spiritual spaces and navigating gender assigned spaces.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Updated or interest in getting Child Abuse clearance, Criminal Background check, and FBI Clearance
Compensation: Assistant Teaching Artist will receive $15 per hour for 17 hours per week.
Please provide a cover letter with resume and references by Monday, February 7th to firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information on Mural Arts Philadelphia, please visit www.muralarts.org.