Employment Opportunity at Mural Arts! – Chief Operating Officer
This Deadline Expired: Friday, May 18, 2018
Mural Arts Philadelphia is the nation’s largest public art program, dedicated to the belief that art ignites change. For over 30 years, Mural Arts has united artists and communities through a collaborative and equitable process, creating nearly 4,000 artworks that have transformed public spaces and individual lives. Mural Arts aims to empower people, stimulate dialogue, and build bridges of understanding with projects that attract artists from Philadelphia and around the world, and programs that focus on youth education, restorative justice, mental health and wellness, and public art and its preservation. Popular mural tours offer a firsthand glimpse into the inspiring stories behind Mural Arts’ iconic and unparalleled collection, which has earned Philadelphia worldwide recognition as the “City of Murals.”
Mural Arts is seeking a Chief Operating Officer (COO). This position will oversee the organization’s ongoing operations including the financial and administrative components of the work (budget, systems, protocols, contracts, and compliance), human resource management, program and project divisions and field operations. The COO will ensure that the staff and the work promote the organization’s vision and advance its mission to use participatory public art as a way to ignite meaningful change in place, people and practice.
The COO is a key member of the Executive and Leadership teams and reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Jane Golden. The position will work closely with the CEO, Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) and Artistic Director (AD).
• Ensure the work advances the organization’s mission in close collaboration with board and staff leadership
· Oversee the daily operations of 50 full time staff, 127 part time staff and a $10M budget.
· Establish policies and support practice to ensure alignment with the core values of the organization
· Design and implement plans, procedures, and tools to ensure efficient, effective and safe operations
· Contribute to the strategic planning efforts of the Executive and Leadership teams of the organization
· Provide leadership to support best practice research in areas of materials, supplies, fabrication and installation
· Oversee the work of the Human Resources Director
· Manage staff development and supervision of direct reports
· Supervise the work of Finance and be responsible for budget development and management in collaboration with CFO, CSO, and CEO
· Provide oversight to development and review of legal documents e.g. contracts, authorizations, professional services agreements
· Oversee risk management and insurance related matters
· Support development and implementation of metrics to evaluate and guide the operations work
· Manage relationships and build partnerships with partners/vendors/external stakeholders
· Write and submit reports as appropriate
· Evidence of commitment to core values of organization with emphasis on diversity, equity, inclusion
· Experience in operations management in the nonprofit sector
· Ability to work under pressure in fast paced environment
· Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
· Strong analytical and problem solving abilities
· Systems thinker
· Skilled facilitator
· Attention to detail
· Understanding of key functions of core responsibility (HR, finance, project and program management)
· Outstanding supervisory skills
· Ability to forge and develop collaboration within the organization and with key stakeholders
· Proven experience as COO or in a leadership position with a minimum of 5 years’ experience
· Advanced degree in business administration, organizational development or relevant experience
· Experience/interest in arts and culture sector preferred
Competitive benefits package and opportunity to work with an organization committed to using public art as a way to ignite meaningful change. For more information about the organization please visit our web site at www.muralarts.org.
Interested applicants must submit resume and cover letter listing salary requirements to Paul Dobry at Paul.Dobry@muralarts.org by May 18, 2018.
Please no sales calls from Executive Search firms.