Employment Opportunity at Mural Arts – Kensington Storefront Program Manager
This Deadline Expired: Tuesday, November 20, 2018
Mural Arts Philadelphia is the largest public art initiative of its kind, dedicated to the belief that art ignites change. For over 30 years, Mural Arts has united artists and communities through a collaborative and equitable process, creating nearly 4,000 artworks that have transformed public spaces and individual lives. Mural Arts aims to empower people, stimulate dialogue, and build bridges of understanding with projects that attract artists from Philadelphia and around the world, and programs that focus on youth education, restorative justice, mental health and wellness, and public art and its preservation. Popular mural tours offer a firsthand glimpse into the inspiring stories behind Mural Arts’ iconic and unparalleled collection, which has earned Philadelphia worldwide recognition as the “City of Murals.”
Mural Arts seeks a Manager for their Kensington Storefront. The Kensington Storefront is the newest initiative of Porch Light, an ongoing partnership between Mural Arts, and the City’s Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual disAbility Services (DBHIDS). There are many organizations engaged in Kensington, all working toward transforming a community fractured by drug addiction, crime, and housing insecurity. At the Kensington Storefront, Mural Arts works in partnership with Prevention Point Philadelphia, Impact Services Corporation and the New Kensington CDC. The storefront serves as a workshop for visiting artists, a safe space for neighbors, and a learning hub for anyone interested in art-making, personal and public safety, or self-care—but it also serves as a hub for area organizations, with the intention of working more effectively together. Public programming at the storefront creates opportunities for community members to speak for themselves in a profoundly public way, and connects individuals to organizations that provide services and referrals that they might not otherwise encounter.
This position is FULL-TIME and reports to the Director of the Porch Light Program.
- Manage and update the calendar of programs and services available in the storefront
- Coordinate staffing calendar
- Oversee and provide information about services available to constituents/program participants
- Manage data collection in the storefront
- Collaborate with communications on public events in/around the storefront
- Build and expand portfolio of services and programming in the storefront
- Manage a small portfolio of projects directly related to the storefront
- Oversee community advisory committee
- Oversee volunteer network and partner programming in the storefront
- Supervise hourly part time assistant staff, teaching artists and volunteers
- Provide support to Certified Recovery Specialists and Certified Peer Specialists
- Provide support and task management to field students and Vistas
- Build and maintain relationships with storefront partners, local organizations and community leaders in Kensington and those serving Kensington
- Facilitate storefront visits for funders, possible funders, partners, etc.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years’ experience in program management, social work or public health with a knowledge and comfort working with individuals dealing with active addiction. A background in the visual arts or other creative processes and knowledge of public or contemporary art or muralism a plus. Candidate will be detailed oriented and should be able to juggle many tasks to maintain focus in a fast-paced, high pressure environment. Ability to reorder priorities, delegate and multi-task – with ease and grace – a must. A candidate must also be able to work well with many different kinds of people in diverse settings. Commitment to the mission and values of the Mural Arts Program, a solid work ethic, excellent interpersonal skills, political savvy, and a respect for teamwork are critical to success in this position.
Additional Requirements Include:
Requires a MA or MS in social work, public health or related field, or equivalent experience and knowledge. At least three years of experience in program management. Previous experience with budgets, purchasing, inventory, staffing and short and long range planning required.
Mural Arts seeks candidates who value and demonstrate the following core competencies: committed problem solving, deep thinking & fearless creation, inquisitive learning, thoughtful communication, mindful collaboration, personal accountability, and a commitment to actively prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Mural Arts is pleased to offer a competitive and comprehensive health and dental benefits package.
Interested applicants must submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirement to Laure Biron, Porch Light Program Director at Laure.Biron@muralarts.org. Applications will be accepted until November 20th.