Employment Opportunity at Mural Arts – Lead Teaching Artist for Artrepreneurs (Philadelphia, PA)
This Deadline Expired: Wednesday, January 3, 2018
Mural Arts Philadelphia unites artists and communities through a collaborative process, rooted in the traditions of mural-making, to create art that transforms public spaces and individual lives. Since its inception in 1984, Mural Arts has created more than 3,000 community driven murals and provided thousands of under-served youth and adults with award-winning arts education programming.
Mural Arts Philadelphia – Arts Education Department
Mural Arts Philadelphia Art Education Department serves over 1,600 youth annually through free out-of-school time art education programs in neighborhoods throughout Philadelphia. Our programs provide a creative outlet for some of the city’s most vulnerable youth.
Mural Arts seeks to build safe spaces with and for the youth we serve, and our students’ work demonstrates their capacity for thinking deeply and creating fearlessly. Our programs provide young people between the ages of 10 and 22 a year-long course of study in the visual arts. Our curriculum offers students the technical and creative foundation necessary to imagine, design, and create a wide range of individual and public works of art. Whether creating a mural or honing foundational art skills, lessons are designed with both short and long-term goals in mind, incorporating artistic and social history in addition to traditional and emerging art processes. At every turn we encourage our students to reflect on themselves and make a positive difference in the communities in which they work and play.
The Art Education Department runs four sessions during the year—beginning in September.
In order to best serve the varied needs of our students, the Mural Arts Art Education Department seeks passionate and creative art educators who are committed to working in partnership with young people. We seek individuals who are excited about mentoring youth, eager to collaborate with fellow artists, and able to work in an energetic environment that demands flexibility, dedication, innovation, and enthusiasm.
Lead Teaching Artist Positions
Lead teaching artists work closely with Art Education staff to develop a project-based curriculum. They inspire and guide students in creating individual works of art, designing murals, experimenting with different media, and working alongside professional artists on large scale public art projects. In addition to maintaining a classroom blog and attendance records as required by Mural Arts and its funders, they mentor an assistant teaching artist. The position requires attendance at meetings and workshops, reliable transportation and professional development. Mural-making experience is preferred but not required.
This position is the lead instructor for Artrepreneurs a Mural Arts education program for high school students ages 14-18. This is a development oriented program designed to increase educational opportunities and to provide critical job skills, while cultivating leadership and talent in the fine arts. In conjunction with the Program Manager, the Teaching Artist is responsible for facilitating a safe and engaging classroom environment in partnership with participating students, and the site personnel.
The incumbent, in the role of lead instructor, provides students with foundation art skills and a basic business introduction. During the year, three sessions are offered, comprised of different types of outcomes, including a business boot camp, a presentation and pitch competition, and two Pop-Up shops throughout the year. The Lead Instructor is also responsible for keeping student records and accounts as well as the macro-management of the class beyond teaching including but not limited to scheduling field trips, coordinating the online shop, recruiting and retaining students, as well as liaison with parents and Mural Arts.
Additional Faculty responsibilities include but are not limited to the following tasks:
· Act as mentor and role model to students.
· Establish a classroom culture of respect and personal responsibility.
· Help with Recruitment at schools and providing guidance to Assistant TA in recruitment strategy.
· Stay informed and up-to- date about department procedures and events.
· Attend curriculum labs and mandatory trainings.
· Create and execute relevant, informed, and innovative curricula and lesson plans in response to a variety of learners and projects.
· Maintain up-to- date and accurate weekly timesheets, expense records, attendance records, blog entries, and youth opportunity docs.
· Keep program manager(s) and site leaders informed about any accidents, safety hazards, behavioral issues, health or site concerns, etc.
· Escort and chaperone students on program-related field trips.
· Assist with student exhibitions and project-related events.
· Facilitate a timely evaluation process at the end of each session.
· Participate in an annual performance review process.
Artrepreneurs Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
· Administering the micro loans + picking up business materials tracking student awards/earnings working with Program Manager to pay students at the end of the year.
· Organizing Events with the students in conjunction with Assistant and Program Manager (Bootcamp, Pitch Competition, Pop Up Shops, Vending Opportunities)
· Assist with Corporate Sponsorship outcomes, which may include adult supervision for mentorship and design opportunities for students.
· Working online, planning for students to set up photo sessions and uploading onto the site (Inventory, Updates, Posting Items)
· Help Program Manager to maintain and manage the classroom space and equipment with students and Assistant Teaching Artist.
· A minimum of 3-5 years teaching experience
· Strong leadership and classroom management skills
· Strong organizational and communications skills
· Ability to work with diverse populations
· Digital knowledge base with ability to use Gmail and associated applications is necessary
· Knowledge of other software platforms is useful, such as GoogleDocs and Tumblr
Please provide cover letter with resume and references by Wednesday, January 3rd 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on Mural Arts Philadelphia, please visit www.muralarts.org.