Employment Opportunity at Mural Arts! – Let’s Connect Participant Coordinators
A partnership with Mural Arts Philadelphia and the Barnes Foundation
The Mural Arts Philadelphia in collaboration with the Barnes Foundation is seeking participant coordinators for an upcoming participatory project, Let’s Connect: Philly’s Artists take on the Barnes.
Albert Barnes taught people to look at works of art primarily in terms of their visual relationships. In arranging his collection, he ignored historical periods and cultural origins–the standard categories of museum display–instead mixing together works of art from different time periods, cultures, and media based solely on the formal analogies they shared. Let’s Connect challenges Philadelphia’s artists, community, and curators respond to this methodology.
Let’s Connect begins as open call inviting artists to select a work of art in the Barnes collection and use it as a departure point for creating their own work for submission. The work submitted by artists will be displayed at the Barnes for an exhibition, so that the public and a team of curators can select which artist(s) should be invited for a residency onsite in the Mural Arts Studio at the Barnes.
As a Let’s Connect participant coordinator, you will be coming on board after during the artist drop off window helping assist with the intake of artist work. From this point forward, you will be onsite during the exhibition to help participants view the work and cast ballots, communicate about the Let’s Connect project, and assist by getting work back to artists after the exhibition has closed.
The ideal candidates are enthusiastic, excellent communicators, detail oriented, love working with the public, and have a passion for art. The best candidates consider themselves adaptable and team players. As with any new project there will be slight changes in how we operate for best efficiency and communications; you are good at spotting challenges that may arise, communicating/proposing solutions, and working with fellow team members to adjust operations so the project runs smoothly.
Coordinators will report to the organizer of Let’s Connect, the Project Manager from the Mural Arts Philadelphia, the Deputy Director of Audience engagement and Chief Experience Officer at the Barnes Foundation.
● Learn how the Let’s Connect project works in order to be able to answer participant questions.
● Communicate about the project to participants and potential participants in person, via social media channels, and through email as assigned.
● Engage participation in Let’s Connect and adapt participant engagement to reach diverse audiences of varying age, background, and knowledge levels.
● Coordinate participant logistics including greeting participants–artists, community, curators–when they arrive, tracking participation, and assigning/scanning ballots.
● Assist in the gallery installation by helping participants with registration, their ballots, and finding information about works of art installed in gallery.
● Help during artist drop off, pick up periods helping to intake work for the installation, and distribute work back to artists after the deinstallation.
● Support team members with a positive, professional, and collaborative attitude.
● Report any challenges to the project organizer.
We’re looking for engaged, thoughtful, and energetic people who are detail oriented. We’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position.
This is a part/time temporary position paid hourly from May 4, 2018 through June 9, 2018. Coordinators are required to wear a project t-shirt and a Barnes ID badge whenever they are onsite along with other appropriate workplace attire.
The position requires availability during the following periods of time:
● Artist Drop Off Period
○ Friday, May 4, 2018 from 10am-7pm
○ Saturday, May 5, 2018 from 11am-5pm
○ 15 hours total
● Exhibition Training Session
○ Thursday, May 17 or Friday, May 18
■ 2 hours to be scheduled
■ 2 hours total
● Exhibition Period
○ May 21—June 4, 2018
■ Wednesday through Monday 10am-5pm
■ Tuesdays off
■ 84 hours total
● Artist Pick Up Period
○ Friday, June 8, 2018 from 10am-7pm
○ Saturday, June 9, 2018 from 11am-5pm
○ 15 hours total
The rate for this position is $12.50 per hour and Mural Arts Philadelphia will pay you. Health benefits are not included with this position.
Send a resume and cover letter stating your interest in this position. If acceptable, you will be contacted to set up an interview.
In your cover, please tell us what about Let’s Connect interests you the most and why you would like to join the team!
Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org