Employment Opportunity at Mural Arts – Public Programs and Events Manager
This Deadline Expired: Saturday, February 13, 2016
Deadline February 12: The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program is a public private partnership dedicated to the belief that art ignites change. We create art with others to transform places, individuals, communities and institutions. Through this work, we establish new standards of excellence in the practice of public and contemporary art. Our process empowers artists to be change agents, stimulates dialogue about critical issues, and builds bridges of connection and understanding. Our work is created in service of a larger movement that values equity, fairness and progress across all of society. We listen with empathetic ears to understand the aspirations of our partners and participants. And through beautiful collaborative art, we provide people with the inspiration and tools to seize their own future.
Annually, Mural Arts engages more than 25,000 people. This includes more than 2,000 who enroll in ongoing art and muralism workshops offered by our Art Education, Restorative Justice, and Porch Light programs; more than 8,000 who co-create our stunning works of public art; and more than 15,000 who tour our multi-neighborhood collection. Annually, we produce between 80 and 100 temporary and permanent pieces, which together tell an incredible story of Philadelphia’s beauty and resilience.
Mural Arts is seeking a Public Programs and Events Manager to be part of its Communications and Brand Marketing team. This highly collaborative team implements the communications strategy designed to engage the public and propel our organization’s mission, and is responsible for promoting and communicating the impact of each facet of the organization within the parameters and discipline of the organization’s brand guidelines. Through excellent support from the program and fundraising divisions, the Communications and Brand Marketing department works on messaging clarity and impact, always positioning Mural Arts as a world leader in public art and civic engagement and social transformation. The Public Programs and Events Manager is responsible for brainstorming, developing, and executing public programs and special events that underscore Mural Arts’ mission and core values to various audiences and stakeholder groups.
Roles and Responsibilities:
· Plan and implement the logistics and flows of public programs and events, either related to specific projects or in conjunction with ongoing Mural Arts programs or initiatives, including but not limited to panel discussions, mural dedications, film screenings, interactive workshops, paint days, parties, and more
· Lead the creative development and design of public programs and brainstorm how to best market the Mural Arts brand and mission at these events
· Develop benchmarks and goals for audience attendance and engagement at Mural Arts events, as well as tactics for meetings said goals
· Serve as the team liaison on large events handled by other departments, such as the annual fundraising gala or the tours season launch
· Maintain the Mural Arts events calendar and ensure that event information is shared out on various Mural Arts platforms, including the website, blog, e-blasts, social media, flyers, and more
· Serve as the main point of contact for event volunteers, recruit new volunteers, and manage special event interns
· Send and track event invitations to the Mayor’s Office, City Council, and other city officials
· Research and pursue opportunities to advertise Mural Arts events, in collaboration with other team members
· Manage and build upon inventory of event-specific materials that convey the Mural Arts brand, e.g. banners, tablecloths, and other signage
· Research emerging tactics and best practices in the event management field
· Minimum of three years of experience in the event production or public programming fields, ideally with a focus in arts and culture
· General knowledge of the arts and culture field, and a creative mind for public program development
· Advanced leadership skills and ability to serve as the main point of contact at events
· Ability to engage effectively with members of various audience or stakeholder groups
· General experience and interest in arts branding and marketing
· Excellent communication skills (oral, written, and listening) and collaboration/team skills
· Ability to work in fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks
· Prior experience with managing budgets
· Must be able to attend evening and weekend events when required
· A BA or BS in related field, or equivalent experience and knowledge
· Experience working with outside vendors and contractors
· Driver’s license and access to a vehicle is ideal
· Proficiency with MS Office and WordPress required
· Experience using Adobe Design Suite and email marketing platforms (e.g. Campaign Monitor) a plus
Salary: Competitive compensation in the low- to mid-40’s, depending on experience, plus comprehensive health and dental benefits.
Please provide cover letter with resume and references by Friday, February 12th to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Public Programs and Events Manager” in your subject line.
For further information on the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program, please visit www.muralarts.org.