Employment Opportunity at Mural Arts! – Summer Assistant Teaching Artist
This Deadline Expired: Friday, April 3, 2020
The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program’s Art Education Department serves over 2000 youth annually through free out-of-school time art education programs in neighborhoods throughout Philadelphia. Our programs provide a creative outlet for some of the city’s most vulnerable youth.
Mural Arts seeks to build safe spaces with and for the youth we serve, and our students’ work demonstrates their capacity for thinking deeply and creating fearlessly. Our programs provide young people between the ages of 10 and 22 a year-long course of study in the visual arts. Our curriculum offers students the technical and creative foundation necessary to imagine, design, and create a wide range of individual and public works of art. Whether creating a mural or honing foundational art skills, lessons are designed with both short and long-term goals in mind, incorporating artistic and social history in addition to traditional and emerging art processes. At every turn we encourage our students to reflect on themselves and make a positive difference in the communities in which they work and play.
Mural Arts Education partners with the Philadelphia Youth Network’s (PYN) WorkReady Program to provide summer programming and employment opportunities for youth enrolled in the Art Education program. Youth work in teams at sites across Philadelphia with Teaching Artists on various large or small scale mural projects. The Art Education Department is seeking summer employees for our six week summer session with two weeks of included professional development beginning on June 15 and running through August 14.
In order to best serve the varied needs of our students, the Art Education Department of the Mural Arts Program seeks passionate and creative art educators who are committed to working in partnership with young people. We seek individuals who are excited about mentoring youth, eager to collaborate with fellow artists, and able to work in an energetic environment that demands flexibility, dedication, innovation, and enthusiasm.
Summer Assistant Teaching Artist
This position provides assistance to the Lead Teaching Artist for summer art education programming for high school youth. In conjunction with the Teaching Artist, the Assistant Teaching Artist is responsible for facilitating a safe and creative classroom environment in partnership with participating students and the site personnel.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provides instructional support to Lead Teaching Artist during summer programming 20 hours a week
- Assist with the set-up and clean-up for projects and/or activities
- Assist in preparing and delivering classroom instruction and occasionally leads classroom activities, develops lesson plans and manages classroom under the guidance of the Lead Teaching Artist
- Act as mentor and role model for participating students
- Track classroom attendance weekly, using Mural Arts’ database
- Submit photographs and class overviews on the Mural Arts social media on a weekly basis
- Support timely collection of completed student applications and timesheets
- Attend mandatory professional development meetings
- Assist in chaperoning field trips
- Helps maintain site partner relationships
- Assist with communicating with the Work Ready Coordinator
- Preferably 1-2 years of experience teaching art to youth in middle and/or high school
- Ability to work in multiple settings with respect and humility, ie: Non-English dominant spaces, Queer and LGBTQ spaces, cultural and spiritual spaces and navigating gender assigned spaces.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Updated Child Abuse clearance, Criminal Background check, and FBI Clearance
Compensation: Assistant Teaching Artist will receive $15 per hour for 21 hours per week.
Please provide a cover letter with resume and references by Friday, April 3rd to email@example.com with Summer Assistant Teaching Artist in the subject line. No phone calls please.
For further information on Mural Arts Philadelphia, please visit www.muralarts.org.