Figure Sculpture Instructor at Fleisher Art Memorial
This Deadline Expired: Monday, August 7, 2017
Fleisher Art Memorial seeks qualified teaching artists to lead Figure Sculpture and Lithography classes in the Adult Programs.
Position Description: Teaching Artist
Who we are and why this is important:
The Fleisher Art Memorial is a source of inspiration, creativity, and community. Every year, more than 17,000 people experience the transformative power of art by participating in our studio classes, exhibitions, and community‐based programming. We are a non‐profit organization committed to advancing the vision of our founder, Samuel S. Fleisher, who believed that art is one of society’s greatest assets and equalizers, and from the doorway of his Graphic Sketch Club, “invited the world to come and learn art.”
Through all of our work, we strive to make art accessible to everyone regardless of age, economic means, or artistic experience. We operate one of the nation’s first community‐based arts centers, providing free and low‐cost studio art classes along with opportunities for beginning and seasoned artists to exhibit their work in a professional gallery setting. To further enhance our mission, Fleisher’s arts education programming reaches deeply into schools and community centers and has brought us national recognition and powerful opportunities to advocate for and shape arts education initiatives throughout the region and the country.
Teaching Artist Key qualifications:
· Bachelor of Arts degree, Master of Fine Arts degree a plus
· Experienced teaching artist with a solid artistic skill set, and a minimum of two years teaching experience instructing technique to a broad adult population
· Experience doing community engagement work with diverse populations
· Experience developing a thoughtful, fun, creative, and culturally appropriate lesson plan and a class curriculum spanning from 5 to 10 weeks.
· Can provide clear and thoughtful feedback to students, both in group and one-on-one settings.
· Flexible and can work in a variety of studio environments with large and diverse groups of people.
· Punctual, organized, communicates in a timely fashion with Fleisher staff
· Language skills in Khmer, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese a plus
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
· Design and implement a well-planned lesson. Lesson plans must be submitted to Vita Litvak email@example.com a minimum of 3 months prior to the scheduled event.
· Communicate with Adult Programs Manager about basic supply needs, curriculum development, model requests, and lesson plans
· Arrive 30 minutes before class to set up.
· Manage classroom time to appropriately clean the studio space with students before end of class
· Respectful of student members, models, and Fleisher staff
· Inform Fleisher of any changes to your schedule which preclude you from instructing your committed class no later than 2 weeks prior to your scheduled class.
· Inform Programs Coordinator of any unexpected change of plans such as illness or other absences as soon as possible. If it is less than 24 hours prior to the event, you must speak directly with someone to ensure the information is received.
· Excessive lateness and absences are strongly discouraged and may affect future eligibility to work with Adult Programs at Fleisher
Fleisher is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
To submit an application please visit: https://fleisherartmemorial.submittable.com/submit/78466/teaching-artist