Graphic Content Exhibition Call to Artists
deadline: Sunday, May 2, 2021
Exhibition on display in the
Live Like a Hero Gallery,
June 18, 2021 through fall 2021
The National Liberty Museum is excited to announce their summer exhibition Graphic Content, opening Friday, June 18, 2021. Through this call-to-artist and jury selection process, NLM aims to bring together a large, diverse group of artists who do not shy away from confronting and responding to difficult issues within their creative process.
Graphic Content will give space to graphic-centered artworks that act as social commentary, taking inspiration from counterculture tradition and giving voice to those outside the mainstream. The artwork should embody your unique, uncensored response to themes relating to deeper, more personal reflections on the current social and political climate. The most essential element of these artworks is that they make a statement, working to upset and change the status quo through visual expression. For the past 20 years, the National Liberty Museum has worked to inspire thoughtful action, educating their audiences on the importance of active participation to ensure understanding and equality for all. Through Graphic Content, NLM hopes that visitors will learn from artists who are not afraid of controversial content, especially those who shine a spotlight on certain unabashed truths. How does your work aim to remove certain social stigmas and give clarity to ourselves and our histories, helping us better understand the present, and grow towards a more equitable future?
As part of your application, please write a short response to the prompt and question posed above (in bold, directions in application). If selected, your response will be included in the exhibition to give context to your work, and how it relates to who you are as an individual within the broader theme.
For this exhibition, NLM is looking for a variety of mediums in 2D or 3D, including but not limited to illustration, comics, ‘zines, graphic novels, street art, digital graphics, digital arts, sculpture, and glass. Participating artwork will be selected by an in-house jury at the National Liberty Museum.
- The complete application, including the images of your artwork and a brief CV, needs to be submitted no later than Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 11:59PM.
- We will notify all artists of the decisions by Friday, May 7.
- If you are selected to be part of Graphic Content, your artwork must be received at the NLM on or before Friday, June 4, ready to install. Artwork delivery instructions will be outlined in your notification emails.
HOW TO APPLY
- Follow this link to the online application form: Graphic Content Call to Artist Application
- You can submit up to 3 artworks for consideration to Graphic Content. Unless they are part of a series, they will be evaluated individually. This means that, if you are selected, you could have anywhere between one and three pieces in the show.
- Only complete applications will be accepted for review. Make sure to include a brief Artist CV, images of your artwork in jpg format with the title including your last name, and your response to the artist prompt.
- In conjunction with Graphic Content, the NLM is planning a series of programs and events to spotlight featured artists, their work and the issues addressed. They are also exploring the possibility of hosting artwork or print sales in their shop. The application form includes questions to gauge your interest in participating in these exhibition-related opportunities.
If you have any questions regarding your application, the exhibition, or deadlines, please email Kelley Stone at email@example.com.