This Deadline Expired: Friday, October 20, 2017
IMMIGRATION NOW is a juried exhibition that brings together works by artists from a wide range of backgrounds who explore American Immigration through personal experience within the past 30 years. Works may encompass a variety of media and styles, engaging the deeper meanings of transcultural migration to the United States. This exhibition will be on view to a diverse student population at Penn State Abington College, which lies in a suburb just outside Philadelphia.
Selections will be made by a succession of 2 jury panels. The first panel consists of Penn State Abington faculty members listed below. The second panel of Penn State Abington students who identify with the immigrant experience will make final selections in consultation with the first panel of faculty members.
– H. John ThompsonArt Gallery Director and Lecturer of Art, Penn State Abington College
– Daniel OlivaLecturer of Art, Penn State Abington College
– Salar Ghahramani J.D.Assistant Professor of Business Law and International Law & Policy, Penn State Abington College
It is FREE to submit entries for this exhibition.Deadline for Submission11:59 PM EST October 20, 2017
– This exhibition is open to all artists working on the theme of US immigration from contemporary personal experience. The contemporary experience as defined by this exhibition includes work that discusses themes, concepts, and events that have occurred within the past 30 years
– All media will be considered.
– Works may not exceed 8 feet in any dimension.
– All work must be ready for presentation.
– Any special hardware should be provided.
– In the event a work must be assembled, clear instructions must be included.
The Penn State Abington Art Gallery reserves the right to decline work that is misrepresented in its submission or does not include clear instruction or appropriate installation/hanging materials.
Insurance / Sales:
All works will be insured under a Penn State University policy while in the possession of the Penn State Abington Art Gallery. Penn State University does not cover works while in the care of a third party shipping company.The Penn State Abington Art Gallery is not a commercial gallery and does not receive a commission on sales. Any parties interested in the purchase of artworks will be directed to the artist.
All applications should be submitted as a single PDF file with multiple pages and emailed as an attachment to PSUAbingtonArtGallery@psu.edu. Please do not embed or share.Please title your email and PDF in the following format:LastName_FirstName_Immigration_OPEN_CALL.pdf
Please include the following materials in your PDF in the order found below:
– Up to 10 images of up to 5 artworks
– Proposals for work not yet realized must include sketches/diagrams and description
– Up to 3 video submissions with at least one still and hyperlink to YouTube, Vimeo or other video-hosting sites where your work can be easily accessed.
– A works list including title, medium, size, and date of completion
– If your work requires any media equipment please explain as explicitly as possible
– Artist statement under 400 words
– A current CVArtists will be notified of their acceptance status by November 8, 2017
Delivery / Return of Selected Entries:
Artists are responsible for delivering all work to Penn State Abington between December 11th and 15th. Drop off of selected works can be coordinated with the Gallery Director. Work shipped to the Penn State Abington Art Gallery must be received between December 11th and 15th, 2017.Although the Penn State Abington Art Gallery cannot cover he cost of shipping it receives, the Art Gallery will cover the costs of return shipping in the artist’s original packaging. Works must be picked up between March 5th and 9th. Any work being shipped by the Art Gallery will be sent out between March 5th and 9th.