Lead Artist and Team Artists
This Deadline Expired: Tuesday, January 17, 2017
The Mural Arts Porch Light Program represents a partnership between Mural Arts Philadelphia and the Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual disAbility Services. Porch Light connects with behavioral health and social service agencies throughout Philadelphia, and aims to create transformational public art with individuals who receive services for mental health challenges, substance use, trauma, and other behavioral health issues.
– Create a mural or public art project that addresses the traumatic causes and effects of the opioid crisis in North Kensington
– Give members of the community the opportunity to create works of art reflecting their experiences and their neighborhood
– Get community members excited about creating positive change in Kensington
– Connect members of the community with behavioral health services that will help them fight and defeat the challenges they face
The Lead Artist or Artist Team will lead a series of weekly workshops, create a mural or public art project inspired by work produced at these workshops, and assist partners in activating the storefront space. Your responsibilities will begin in January 2017 and run through June 2018. With support from the Mural Arts Porch Light Program staff and assistant artist(s), the Lead Artist or Artist Team will:
– Hold workshops to encourage community investment and participation
– Participate in storefront activities as requested
– Hold community events to engage a broad audience with mural or public art project creation
– Develop the mural or public art project design. The design must be derived from community engagement workshops and include constituents of the project in some way, i.e. including some of their artwork, input, words, etc.
– Attend design review sessions at Mural Arts
– Produce and install the final project by end of September 2017
Download application and full details here.
For more information about the Porch Light Program go to www.muralarts.org/porchlight.
Applications must be received (not postmarked) by Monday, January 16th, 2017. Please email your applications to Jessica.Lewis-Turner@muralarts.org with the subject “Kensington Storefront Hub Site.” Please keep in mind we are looking to select an artist immediately so the artist is available to participate in community planning meetings through the month of January.
Or mail to:
Mural Arts Program
c/o Jessica Lewis-Turner
Lincoln Financial Mural Arts Center
1727-29 Mt. Vernon Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130
If you have any questions, please contact Jessica Lewis-Turner, Porch Light Project Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.