This Deadline Expired: Monday, March 2, 2020
Hamilton Street Gallery CALL FOR ARTISTS DEADLINE:
March 28th, to May 7th., 2020
Opening Reception Saturday, March 28th, 2 to 5 pm
So called Luxury Housing is on the rise everywhere. Mercenary developers and underhanded obtuse politicians are conjuring up sweet deals to blight older and disadvantaged neighborhoods, while promising citizens tax breaks. They’re knocking down majestic historical structures, many embellished with unique architectural design elements going back 100 years or more, and replacing them with massive behemoths of cheaply constructed, mediocre multiplexes. Built to attract young professionals, luxury housing is not cheap. However, the high rents also set a damaging (and very likely intentional) precedence, because the surrounding poorer neighborhoods, usually lacking rent control, are effected with rent hikes as a result. This forces poor and working class people to exit their towns at three times the rate than in areas without luxury housing…. and tragically this can lead to homelessness.
For this exhibition we’re asking artists to submit work that relates to wealth, and poverty in connection to housing, environment, family and quality of life. Also the effects of over development, historically, environmentally, and aesthetically. As always, we encourage artists to be adventurous and all media is accepted.
1. Exhibition is open to residents 18 years or older, living in NY, NJ and PA.
2. All media will be considered and must be original and by the artist.
3. We prefer that work be hand delivered to the gallery, but will accept pre-paid shipment of work preferably through the Post Office with return packaging to and from the gallery.
4. Art work must be wired and ready for hanging and/or installation and must not exceed 60” in any direction.
Please no saw tooth hangers. Size limitations for sculptural and video pieces will be considered individually.
5. Two dimensional works on paper and other fragile surfaces must be framed with glass or Plexiglas, except with special permission
6. All accepted art work must remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibit. Upon delivery of work, the gallery has the right to reject work that is not consistent with submitted digital images.
There is no entry fee to enter the exhibit. Accepted artists pay upon delivery, a nominal fee of $25, by cash, check or money order payable to Hamilton Street Gallery to cover costs for promotional mailing, hanging, lighting and installation. Hamilton Street Gallery charges 25% commission on art work sold. Sales will be finalized at the end of each exhibition.
Hamilton Street Gallery will provide insurance for work upon receiving art, during exhibition and up until work is picked up. Artwork is not insured while in transit to and from the gallery.
There are two ways to submit work:
A. Up to 5 digital file submissions will be accepted via email to email@example.com or
B. Up to 5 images on a CD rom can be mailed through the Post Office
1. All submissions must be in JPEG format in the order you would like them viewed with artist name and title of work. Images cannot be larger than 800 x 800 pixels at 72 DPI.
2. An image list on paper, numbered in the order in which they appear on the CD, including title of work, media, dimensions, date, and price.
3. One page resume (please include phone number and email address)
4. An artist statement (optional but encouraged)
5. An SASE for return of materials is requested
6. Video and performance artists should submit DVDs labeled with name, title, date and price
(All submissions should be received, not post marked, by the deadline date.)
Please mail completed submission package in an envelope no larger than 9” x 12” to:
Hamilton Street Gallery, P.O. Box
710, Bound Brook, New Jersey 08805. or email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Gallery Hours: Thursday 12 to 5 pm, Fridays 5:30 to 8 pm, Saturdays 1 to 5 pm and by appointment.
Important dates to remember:
Submission Deadline – Monday, March, 2nd., 2020
Notification of acceptance by email – Thursday, March 5th.
Delivery Dates – Thursday, March 19th., 12 to 5 pm.
Friday, March 20th., 5 to 8 pm and Saturday, March 21st 12 to 5 pm
Opening Reception – Saturday, March 28th., 2 to 5 pm.
Pick up dates – Thursday, May 7th., 2020 12 to 5 pm,
Friday, May 8th., 5 to 8 pm and Saturday, May 9th. 12 to 5 pm.
LEARN MORE HERE