Michener Art Museum—Preparator
The Preparator will assist the Chief and Assistant Preparators in the preparation and installation of art objects and other related materials for museum exhibitions. Primary duties and responsibilities involve all physical aspects of the museums’ inventory and loaned objects; physical installation, maintenance, shipping, and storage.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Registrar and other curatorial staff in collections inventories and maintenance of galleries and other related spaces
- Assist in the installation and de-installation of exhibition areas.
- Packing, crating, and uncrating art objects for display, storage, or transit- must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Preparation of gallery spaces- assembly of modular wall system, light patching, painting, and cleanup
- Experience and knowledge of shop tools and machinery for construction of exhibition mounts and displays
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to stay flexible, organized, and work closely with others to communicate as a small team- this includes a necessary professional demeanor in a museum setting or an occasional lender/client interaction.
- Knowledge of art handling procedures and practices and the ability to stay organized and safe in pressure deadline situations
- A knowledge of materials with the ability to construct appropriate and safe packages for shipping and delivery of art objects
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and able to drive a 16ft box truck for transport of art objects
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of objects that can weigh up to 50 pounds (or greater mass that require mechanical assistance). Standing or walking may occur up to 50% of the time or more