Mural Arts Program – Director of Development
This Deadline Expired: Friday, September 7, 2018
Mural Arts Philadelphia is the largest public art initiative of its kind, dedicated to the belief that art ignites change. For over 30 years, Mural Arts has united artists and communities through a collaborative and equitable process, creating nearly 4,000 artworks that have transformed public spaces and individual lives. Mural Arts aims to empower people, stimulate dialogue, and build bridges of understanding with projects that attract artists from Philadelphia and around the world, and programs that focus on youth education, restorative justice, mental health and wellness, and public art and its preservation. Popular mural tours offer a firsthand glimpse into the inspiring stories behind Mural Arts’ iconic and unparalleled collection, which has earned Philadelphia worldwide recognition as the “City of Murals.”
Mural Arts seeks a Director of Development. This individual will have responsibility for all fundraising efforts for the organization and will manage and mentor the development staff. Mural Arts is a growing organization with a total budget of 10M, 55-65% of which is raised revenue. We are specifically seeking someone with experience in individual giving and major gifts who can grow these dimensions of our fundraising portfolio. The position will report directly to the Chief Strategy Officer. The Director of Development will serve on Mural Arts’ Leadership Team and will work closely with the Executive Director, Senior Staff, and the Board of Trustees to ensure Mural Arts has the necessary resources to achieve its goals and advance its mission.
- Expand the existing development program and implement strategies for revenue growth aligned with the strategic plan and evolving needs of the organization.
- Establish and attain measurable annual goals for each development fundraising component in collaboration with appropriate staff, consultants, and board of directors.
- Set goals for, supervise, and mentor three direct reports and one indirect report including a Manager of Individual & Corporate Giving, Senior Manager of Institutional Relations, Manager of Development Operations, and Development Services Coordinator.
- Engage the development committee of the board to help attain annual goals.
- Develop agendas, reports and minutes to properly support the work of this committee.
- Work to cultivate new sources of support with an emphasis on individual giving, including major and planned gifts.
- Develop written materials, appeals, annual reports, and other donor focused communications pieces.
- Directly manage a portfolio of major donors and major gift prospects.
- Evaluate and refine the departmental infrastructure to support increased efficiency and efficacy in fundraising activities.
- Develop and manage the annual department budget.
- Collaborate with senior staff, the Board and consultants on development of fundraising and cultivation events.
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work collaboratively to meet departmental goals
- Demonstrate record of attracting and securing significant gifts from donors
- Demonstrate record overseeing and producing written and graphic fundraising materials
- The ability to appeal to a sophisticated donor community
- Comfort and ease with technology; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Knowledge of the Greater Philadelphia region’s philanthropic community strongly preferred
- Experience managing donor events preferred
- Experience launching endowment or reserve campaigns preferred
- Knowledge of and appreciation for the public arts field is desirable
- Five to ten years of experience in fundraising positions with comparable levels of responsibility
- Supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required
Mural Arts seeks candidates who value and demonstrate the following core competencies: committed problem solving, deep thinking & fearless creation, inquisitive learning, thoughtful communication, mindful collaboration, personal accountability, and a commitment to actively prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Mural Arts is pleased to offer a competitive and comprehensive health and dental benefits package.
Interested applicants must submit resume and cover letter listing salary requirements addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: “Director of Development application 2018”. Candidates who advance in our selection process will be asked to submit writing samples. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until September 7, 2018.
For further information on Mural Arts Philadelphia, please visit www.muralarts.org.