MuralJawns: Philly Murals for Black Lives Matter
Our voices will echo through the walls of our city. Murals to honor Black lives in Philly.
The protests and actions across our city over the past few weeks are the
start of a long overdue, city-wide recognition that Black Lives Matter.
MuralJawns wants to ensure that the calls that filled our streets
reverberate in our communities. MuralJawns will connect storefront
businesses with black, Philly-based artists to transform boarded up
storefronts into murals that celebrate black lives. It is their hope that these
murals help communities foster (or continue) long-term dialogues on
what actions they need to take to show that Black Lives Matter.
To make this possible, they need:
- Artists to donate their talent
- Business/property owners who are eager to promote the issues raised by the Black Lives Matter movement on their storefronts
- Community members who have paint supplies or funds to donate to support the artists
- If you’re a Black, Philly-based artist please complete this form. As of now, artist time will be voluntary. If MuralJawns raises enough funds to cover costs for 10 murals, anything beyond that will be split
among artists. They are actively seeking microgrants to pay artists, too.
- If you are a business or property owner, complete this form so they can match you with an artist. Ideally these works will be on boarded up storefronts, but if you don’t have one, explore other mediums (chalk, window paint) can be explored.
- If you want to donate paint supplies or money, complete this form.
- If you want to volunteer, to support either, coordination or to paint day-of (no experience required), complete this form.
The Nitty Gritty
- Artists will have free, uncensored artistic expression, and will avoid profanity/nudity.
- While these murals will be temporary, MuralJawns will make every attempt to archive them.
- MuralJawns is led by Morgan & Whitney, and an incredible team of passionate volunteers.
- Check out murals on Instagram: @MuralJawns
- Email with any questions: MuralJawns@gmail.com
- Thanks to the Arts Council of Indianapolis and the City of Minneapolis for their inspiration.
Learn more here.