NEXTFAB X DVAA RESIDENCY
This Deadline Expired: Wednesday, August 31, 2022
Da Vinci Art Alliance and NextFab, two leading organizations in Philadelphia exploring the intersection of art, science, and technology, partner annually to give one artist within 50 miles of Philadelphia the opportunity to use our collective resources to create an exhibition and other activities during and leading up to the Everyday Futures Fest, held each April.
This year, the selected artist will begin monthly meetings with the DVAA and NextFab team in October and creating the work for their exhibition using the resources at any of the three NextFab locations. In January, the selected artist will share a studio with the Winter Residency Fellow from Center for Art in Wood at the North Philly NextFab location through March 31st. Within this program, they hope that the Winter Resident and NextFab X DVAA Resident will have a chance to inspire and assist one another towards the creation of your individual exhibitions. In the first week of February we will have a joint critique of each Resident’s work to offer community wide feedback between the audiences of our three organizations. The NextFab x DVAA resident’s completed exhibition will be on view at DVAA throughout the month of April, followed by an installation of the work at NextFab in May.
ABOUT EVERYDAY FUTURES FEST
Held each April, the Everyday Futures Fest is a month-long series of events, exhibitions, workshops, and volunteer days where we examine sustainability through the lenses of art and science. This year, we’re specifically targeting Sustainability in Craft and Community. We’re really excited to open the door to talking more in depth about the materials we use and why, passing along and expanding upon traditional craft processes in intergenerational spaces, and how we can use craft to create spaces of care and connection.
CRITERIA FOR NEXTFAB X DVAA RESIDENCY APPLICATIONS
- Philadelphia residents & nearby creatives making sustainable artwork focused on the intersections between art, science, sustainability, technology, innovation and community.
- Reclaimed materials must be used in at least 50% of the work created during the residency
- Resident must be available for select Everyday Futures Fest events and willing to participate in programming and critique related to their project.
- We are looking for applicants not only creating artwork addressing the stated themes but residents interested in creating engaging and educational activities for the community during the 2023 Everyday Futures Fest.
- Residents who are excited about joining and becoming involved within community centered art spaces
OVERVIEW OF RESIDENCY
- Membership at NextFab October 2022 – April 2023 to create content of exhibition and experiment with art-making tools
- One month exhibition during Da Vinci Fest in April 2023 at DVAA’s upstairs gallery
- Monthly check in with the DVAA and NextFab staff to discuss progress of work and get feedback and resources
- Monthly feature on DVAA’s Instagram of in-progress work
- Interviewed on DVAA’s video series Artists, Makers, & Neighbors
- Access to NextFab and DVAA’s community partners and marketing pools
- 1 year gifted membership to DVAA
- 6 month gifted membership to NextFab
- 30% off NextFab membership post-Residency until point of cancellation
- Exhibition in Gallery 2 at DVAA
- Exhibition at NextFab’s North Philadelphia gallery
- Support of teams at DVAA and NextFab
Learn more and apply here.