Opportunity at Mural Arts! – Wall Ball Auction Curator
This Deadline Expired: Sunday, March 4, 2018
Mural Arts Philadelphia is the nation’s largest public art program, dedicated to the belief that art ignites change. For over 30 years, Mural Arts has united artists and communities through a collaborative and equitable process, creating nearly 4,000 artworks that have transformed public spaces and individual lives. Mural Arts aims to empower people, stimulate dialogue, and build bridges of understanding with projects that attract artists from Philadelphia and around the world, and programs that focus on youth education, restorative justice, mental health and wellness, and public art and its preservation. Popular mural tours offer a firsthand glimpse into the inspiring stories behind Mural Arts’ iconic and unparalleled collection, which has earned Philadelphia worldwide recognition as the “City of Murals.”
Mural Arts is seeking a Curator to assist with its annual art auction, hosted as a featured part of Wall Ball, a major fundraising event. Wall Ball will occur on Thursday, June 7, 2018 at The Fillmore Philadelphia. The event will take place between 6 and 10 p.m.
The art auction includes a diverse selection of 20 to 30 artworks from artists Mural Arts regularly collaborates with as well as others new to the organization. We feature works representing a range of price points, sizes, and media, though most are two-dimensional. Artists receive 35% of the proceeds from the sale of their pieces. Our primary goal is to raise funds to support Mural Arts’ work while bringing positive attention to artists’ work. The auction is silent, with works featured online in the weeks leading up to and days following the event.
· Identify a list of up to 50 artists that might be a fit for the opportunity, including those who have and have not worked with Mural Arts.
· Review list with Mural Arts’ leadership, narrowing it to 30-35 who will receive invitations to participate.
· Collaborate with Mural Arts to conduct outreach to artists, inviting them to participate.
· Connect directly to all participating artists to discuss parameters, review options, and conduct site visits if necessary.
· Assist as needed in communicating with artists around logistics, deadlines, and paperwork.
· Assist staff coordinator with installation of the work during the afternoon of June 7.
· Engage with Wall Ball guests about the artists and specific artworks, encouraging bidding.
· Provide feedback to Mural Arts and assist with any final artist communications, as needed.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
· Strong relationships with a broad network of artists and a willingness to approach this network
· Track record curating exhibitions that sell a significant percentage of artworks
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Attention to detail
· Ability to meet deadlines
· Alignment with core organizational values (curiosity, collaboration, innovation, diversity, equity, and accountability)
· Must have 3 years of experience in curatorial roles
· Experience curating for auctions a plus
Please provide a brief cover letter or email with your resume by Sunday, March 4 to email@example.com. Please focus on presenting curatorial activities in your resume. The selected curator will receive a fee of $2,500 for their services.
For further information on Mural Arts Philadelphia, please visit www.muralarts.org.