Program Assistant at University City Arts League’s Afterschool Arts Program
This Deadline Expired: Friday, September 6, 2019
Program Assistants are integral to the success of the University City Arts League’s Afterschool Arts Program, working with students to actively engage with activities and ensure safety.
Assistants help with the pickup of students from the Penn Alexander School, supervise outdoor play and walk over to the Arts League.
• Assistants are expected to help enforce the rules and consequences of UCAL Summer Camp.
• It is your responsibility to help make sure that the students are safe at all times. Students should never be in a room without an adult, or be out of eyesight of an adult when outdoors.
• It is important for PA’s to be proactive with the students – if you see someone in a situation that might make them upset or might get them hurt it is your responsibility to step in and help the situation improve.
Suggestions for Child-Centered Interactions
• Quickly approach any child who looks upset. Offer comfort or reassurance but don’t minimize their feelings or tell them not to cry. Ask questions about why they are feeling upset and if they want your help. Ask for their ideas about how to solve the problem.
• In resolving conflict, make sure to solicit ideas from the children involved about how to proceed. Expect a child who broke a rule or upset someone else to apologize and offer a solution to the problem, while also maintaining concern for that child.
Setting Up: 2:45 – 3
• Assistants arriving at 2:45 are expected to help set-up the 2nd floor space. This includes ensuring that enough tables and chairs are set up in both 2nd floor rooms for the two age groups to have snack.
Pickup & Outdoor Play: 3 – 3:30
• Assistants are expected to be an active part of taking attendance and engaging with students during pickup at PAS.
• Students should be collected and attendance taken in two separate groups: K-2 and grades 3-8.
• Once all of the students are collected or accounted for, both groups will move outside for outside recess.
• Assistants should plan to offer a simple project, activity, or game as an optional choice during Recess.
• Students must be within eyesight of an adult at all times when outdoors.
Walking to UCAL: 3:30
• At the end of Recess, Assistants are responsible for collecting the children by the gate, separating them into their two groups, and counting them to make sure everyone is present.
• The two groups will walk separately to UCAL, crossing the street at 42nd and Spruce.
Snack: 3:35 – 4
• Assistants will be stationed in either the Snack Room or the Big Room. Children K-2 will eat in the smaller room, children in grades 3-8 will eat in the larger room.
• Assistants will be responsible for over-seeing the distribution of snacks with the help of the CIT’s, and for the management of the Share Table boxes in each room.
• Assistants are solely responsible for doing the required snack count paperwork.
• Assistants will be responsible for ensuring the safety and fair play of students and offering a free choice activity or game. (See provided list of ideas & suggestions)
• At the end of Snack, after all students have been collected and escorted to their classes, both Assistants will work together to take any remaining boxes & milks to the refrigerator, swap box leftovers to the front desk, broken- down white boxes to the back hallway, and to wipe down all Lunch Room tables.
(Assist Office Staff 4-5:30)
Dismissal: 5:30 – 6
• At 5:30, one Assistant and one Teacher will supervise homework time, free play, and dismissal.
• One staff person will be stationed in the snack room which will be the Quiet Room for reading and homework. One staff person will be stationed in the Big Room to supervise free play and offer free choice activities & games.
• CIT’s can be used to help with dismissal – to notify children when their parents have arrived.
• Both Staff people on duty from 5:30 – 6pm should remain on the 2nd floor until there are fewer than 10 children left, at which time one staff person can be downstairs to help with dismissals.
Hours and Pay
UCAL’s Afterschool Program runs Monday through Friday from 2:45 – 6. We are currently looking to fill those hours Tuesday through Friday, starting at a negotiable pay of $13.50 based on experience. People who are interested in being considered should e-mail a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Learn more here