Red Hot Extremism – Deadline Friday September 23rd 2022
This Deadline Expired: Friday, September 23, 2022
One might assume that the Jalapeño pepper is pretty hot with a rating of 5,000 units, but, the Habanero at 200,000 units puts it to shame. Getting hotter, there is a realm of what only can be described as masochistic extremism with the Bhut Jolokai or Ghost Pepper hitting over 1 million Scoville units. A single seed from this hottie will cause a fire in your mouth for 30 minutes or more.
The obsession to surpass the chili pepper heat index for the most frenzied consumption, is not for everyone. Rightfully, each of us has our own tolerance level for extremism in any form. However, there will always be those maverick fire-eaters, that deviate drastically from the norm. Driven and controlling they go beyond the comfort zone of what most people want, and need to achieve normalcy. Forever pugnacious and zealous in their quest, it appears that they will never get enough to reach their level of satisfaction.
For this juried exhibition the Hamilton Street Gallery is asking artists to submit work that’s concerned with events, ideas, or circumstances of extremism on any level – personally, politically or otherwise. All media will be eligible for acceptance.
1. Exhibition is open to residents 18 years or older, living in NY, NJ and PA.
2. All media will be considered and must be original and by the artist.
3. It is prefered that work be hand delivered to the gallery, but will accept pre-paid shipment of work
preferably through the Post Office with return packaging to and from the gallery.
4. Art work must be wired and ready for hanging and/or installation and must not exceed 60” in any direction. Please no saw tooth hangers. Size limitations for sculptural and video pieces will be considered individually.
5. Two dimensional works on paper and other fragile surfaces must be framed with glass or Plexiglas, except with special permission
6. All accepted art work must remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibit. Upon delivery of work, the gallery has the right to reject work that is not consistent with submitted digital images.
There is no entry fee to enter the exhibit. Accepted artists pay upon delivery, a nominal fee of $25, by cash, check or money order payable to Hamilton Street Gallery to cover costs for promotional mailing, hanging, lighting and installation. Hamilton Street Gallery charges 25% commission on art work sold. Sales will be finalized at the end of each exhibition.
Hamilton Street Gallery will provide insurance for work upon receiving art, during exhibition and up until work is picked up. Artwork is not insured while in transit to and from the gallery.
There are two ways to submit work:
A. Up to 5 digital file submissions will be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
B. Up to 5 images on a CD rom can be mailed through the Post Office
1. All submissions must be in JPEG format in the order you would like them viewed with artist name and title of work. Images cannot be larger than 800 x 800 pixels at 72 DPI.
2. An image list on paper, numbered in the order in which they appear on the CD, including title of work, media, dimensions, date, and price.
3. One page resume (please include phone number and email address)
4. An artist statement (optional but encouraged)
5. An SASE for return of materials is requested
6. Video and performance artists should submit DVDs labeled with name, title, date and price
(All submissions should be received, not post marked, by the deadline date.)
Please mail completed submission package in an envelope no larger than 9” x 12” to: Hamilton Street Gallery, P. O. Box 710, Bound Brook, New Jersey 08805. or email submissions to email@example.com
Gallery Hours: Thursday 12 to 5 pm, Fridays 5:30 to 8 pm, Saturdays 1 to 5 pm and by appointment.
Important dates to remember:
Submission Deadline – Friday, September 23rd., 2022
Notification of acceptance by email – Monday, September 26th., 2022
Delivery Dates – Thursday, October 13th., 12 to 5 pm.
Friday, October 14th., 5 to 8 pm. and Saturday, October 15th. 12 to 5 pm.
Opening Reception – Saturday, October 22nd., 2 to 5 pm.
Pick up dates – Thursday, December 8th., 12 to 5 pm.,
Friday, December 9th., 5 to 8 pm. and Saturday, December 10th. 12 to 5 pm.
Learn more here.