SWAMP: Call for Artists
This Deadline Expired: Monday, August 20, 2018
September 15th to November 1st., 2018
Opening Reception Saturday, Sept.15th, 2 to 5 pm
There is a legend that Washington D.C. is built over a swamp, and
occasionally rampant mosquito infestations have been known to spread disease.
During Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, the catch phrase “Drain the Swamp”, implied the promise of an upright, ethical administration that would not enrich itself through profit driven political opportunism. It would protect the rights of hard working Americans and “Make America Great Again”. Well, after nearly two years into his presidency and as we stand ankle deep in the muck, Trump’s corporate empire has flourished in the swamp. Former CEO cabinet officials, pro industrial lobbyists, private sector staffers, and other swamp creatures like the Koch brothers, briskly backstroke up the Potomac in their quest to brazenly line their alligator purses with billions of dollars by deregulating and dismantling federal policies instituted to protect and preserve our safety, health and freedom.
For this juried exhibition we’re asking artists to submit work that investigates and reflects upon the idea of a swamp, and all things
relating to it. Submissions need not be political in nature and as always, all media is accepted.
1. Exhibition is open to residents 18 years or older, living in NY, NJ and PA.
2. All media will be considered and must be original and by the artist.
3. We prefer that work be hand delivered to the gallery, but will accept pre-paid shipment of work
preferably through the Post Office with return packaging to and from the gallery.
4. Art work must be wired and ready for hanging and/or installation and must not exceed 60” in any direction.
Please no saw tooth hangers. Size limitations for sculptural and video pieces will be considered individually.
5. Two dimensional works on paper and other fragile surfaces must be framed with glass or Plexiglas, except with special permission
6. All accepted art work must remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibit. *Upon delivery of work, the gallery has the right to reject work that is not consistent with submitted digital images.
Fees There is no entry fee to enter the exhibit. Accepted artists pay upon delivery, a nominal fee of $25, by cash, check or
money order payable to Hamilton Street Gallery to cover costs for promotional mailing, hanging, lighting and installation.
Hamilton Street Gallery charges 25% commission on art work sold. Sales will be finalized at the end of each exhibition.
Insurance Hamilton Street Gallery will provide insurance for work upon receiving art, during exhibition and up until work is picked up.
Artwork is not insured while in transit to and from the gallery.
There are two ways to submit work:
A. Up to 5 digital file submissions will be accepted via email to email@example.com Swamp_prospectus
B. Up to 5 images on a CD rom can be mailed through the Post Office
1. All submissions must be in JPEG format in the order you would like them viewed with artist name and title of work. Images cannot
be larger than 800 x 800 pixels at 72 DPI.
2. An image list on paper, numbered in the order in which they appear on the CD, including title of work, media, dimensions, date, and price.
3. One page resume (please include phone number and email address)
4. An artist statement (optional but encouraged)
5. An SASE for return of materials is requested
6. Video and performance artists should submit DVDs labeled with name, title, date and price
*(All submissions should be received, not post marked, by the deadline date.)
Please mail completed submission package in an envelope no larger than 9” x 12” to: Hamilton Street Gallery, P.O. Box
710, Bound Brook, New Jersey 08805. or email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important dates to remember:
Submission Deadline – Monday August, 20th., Notification of acceptance by email – August, 22nd. Delivery Dates – Thursday September 6th., 12 to 5 pm.
Friday September 7th., 5 to 8 pm and Saturday September 8th 12 to 5 pm
Opening Reception – Saturday September 15th., 2 to 5 pm.
You can also contact them at (732) 748-2092.
PDF version of information: http://hamiltonstreetgallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Swamp_prospectus.pdf