The Neon Museum of Philadelphia Job Opening: Museum Manager
The Neon Museum of Philadelphia will open spring 2020 at NextFab (Northern Liberties, 1800 North American
Street). The Museum will feature:
- permanent exhibits of vintage neon with related historical / cultural information
- displays from the Museum’s digital archive of videos, slideshows, and podcasts on neon, Philly history,
and roadside America
- an art and history gallery with exhibits on these areas
- a Museum store.
Initially the Museum will operate 25 hours weekly, Thursday through Sunday from 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm or so.
The Museum seeks a part-time manager to coordinate activities during these hours. Daily tasks, often performed in conjunction with other staff, will include:
- greeting visitors, collecting admissions, explaining Museum programs, and managing member services
- managing, planning, and promoting gallery exhibitions
- collecting oral history information from patrons
- managing display of the digital archive
- managing store sales and inventory
- managing and updating the Museum’s social media accounts and website
- keeping the physical space and exhibits clean and secure.
Applicants for the position should have:
- familiarity with art or cultural administration
- experience with retail sales
- experience managing / updating websites and social media accounts
- general familiarity with computer and video systems
- an outgoing presence to make visitors feel welcome
- an interest (or even passion!) for Philadelphia and mid-century history.
Familiarity with neon is helpful but not required. As the museum grows, the position may involve increasing responsibility in overseeing operations. Pay will be commensurate with experience and may increase with the position’s responsibility.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and any other relevant materials to Len Davidson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact by email only.