This Deadline Expired: Sunday, March 14, 2021
April 22nd, to June 3rd., 2021
Hamilton Street Gallery in collaboration with Art Hustle – CALL FOR ARTISTS
DEADLINE: Sunday, March 14th, 2021
Hamilton Street Gallery has invited Christy E. O’Connor to be the guest curator for this exhibition, which describes a prevalent topic that has effected all of us. The Gallery is honored and thrilled to work with her.
From religious fanaticism, to celebrity and hero worship, to personal relationships, what will some do to prove their faith and belief system to an individual or a cause? What drives one’s devotion to the point of violence? Is it love? A need for power? Fear? Anger? Hatred? Manipulation? Violent Devotion seeks to uncover what drives one to extreme acts to prove their love or devotion to a person or a cause? Who has influenced acts of extremism? What institutions have nourished and cultivated these excessive belief systems, and why? How many acts of violence have been committed in the name of love or hate?
1. Exhibition is open to residents 18 years or older, living in NY, NJ and PA.
2. All media will be considered and must be original and by the artist.
3. They prefer that work be hand delivered to the gallery, but will accept pre-paid shipment of work
preferably through the Post Office with return packaging to and from the gallery.
4. Art work must be wired and ready for hanging and/or installation and must not exceed 60” in any direction.
Please no saw tooth hangers. Size limitations for sculptural and video pieces will be considered individually.
5. Two dimensional works on paper and other fragile surfaces must be framed with glass or Plexiglas, except with special permission
6. All accepted art work must remain at the gallery for the duration of the exhibit. Upon delivery of work, the gallery has the right to reject work that is not consistent with submitted digital images.
There is no entry fee to enter the exhibit. Accepted artists pay upon delivery, a nominal fee of $25, by cash, check or money order payable to Hamilton Street Gallery to cover costs for promotional mailing, hanging, lighting and installation. Hamilton Street Gallery charges 25% commission on art work sold. Sales will be finalized at the end of each exhibition.
Hamilton Street Gallery will provide insurance for work upon receiving art, during exhibition and up until work is picked up. Artwork is not insured while in transit to and from the gallery.
There are two ways to submit work:
A. Up to 5 digital file submissions will be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
B. Up to 5 images on a CD rom can be mailed through the Post Office
1. All submissions must be in JPEG format in the order you would like them viewed with artist name and title of work. Images cannot be larger than 800 x 800 pixels at 72 DPI.
2. An image list on paper, numbered in the order in which they appear on the CD, including title of work, media, dimensions, date, and price.
3. One page resume (please include phone number and email address)
4. An artist statement (optional but encouraged)
5. An SASE for return of materials is requested
6. Video and performance artists should submit DVDs labeled with name, title, date and price
(All submissions should be received, not post marked, by the deadline date.)
Please mail completed submission package in an envelope no larger than 9” x 12” to: Hamilton Street Gallery, P. O. Box 710, Bound Brook, New Jersey 08805. or email submissions to email@example.com
Gallery Hours: Thursday 12 to 5 pm, Fridays 5:30 to 8 pm, Saturdays 1 to 5 pm and by appointment.
Learn more here
Important dates to remember:
Submission Deadline – Sunday, March, 14th., 2021
Notification of acceptance by email – Wednesday, March 31st. 2021
Delivery Dates – Thursday, April 15th., 12 to 5 pm.
Friday, April 16th., 5 to 8 pm and Saturday, April 17th 12 to 5 pm
Possible Opening Reception – Sunday, April 25th., 2 to 5 pm.
*Due to the ongoing reoccurrence of Covid 19 having an opening reception will be subject to change
Pick up dates – Thursday, June 3rd., 12 to 5 pm,
Friday, June 4th., 5 to 8 pm and Saturday, June 5th. 12 to 5 pm.
Christy E. O’Connor
Christy E. O’Connor is an independent contemporary art curator, from Monmouth County, NJ. Her curatorial practice largely focuses on sociopolitical factors and cultural issues that have been pervasive throughout history. Her background in education has driven her curation, as she continues to seek ways to engage with the community that will insight curiosity and lead to dialogs, that might not otherwise occur.
O’Connor previously served as Exhibitions Curator at BSB Gallery in Trenton, NJ. She has curated exhibitions in various galleries and unconventional art spaces throughout the state of New Jersey, featuring artists at varying stages of their careers with exceedingly diverse artistic backgrounds and practices. In 2017, she founded Art Hustle. Art Hustle’s mission it to develop engaging art exhibitions throughout the state of New Jersey and to provide opportunities for artists to work with various art spaces, they might not otherwise exhibit with.
O’Connor holds a B.A. in Visual Arts from Ramapo College of New Jersey and an M.S.E.D in Special Education from Monmouth University. O’Connor has collaborated with local arts organizations in varying capacities, including Artworks Trenton, Atlantic Highlands Arts Council, Chashama Matawan, and Monmouth Museum.
As a curator, O’Connor endeavors to highlight artwork that pushes boundaries through craft, process, and contextuality. Her background in education and personal investment in artistic activism, drives her passion to provide a platform for the many voices and perspectives that have often been overlooked, ignored, or shut out from so many institutions over the years.